• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfercase Shift Positions

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the transfercase,(M35A2) have a neutral position? ( All I've seen in manuals is High or Low position)I'm trying to figure out if I need to remove the driveshafts to tow the truck home. I may flat tow or I might lift the front to tow with a wrecker.(wrecker guy said to remove both front and rear shafts before he will tow it) This truck appears to be an air shift front end. Does the air pressure need to be up to disengage the front axel or to shift the transfercase?

houdel

You need air pressure to engage the front axle drive. When you flip the air shift front drive switch to "On" position it sends air to the T-case to engage the front drive; it "Off" position the air is bled off to disenegage the front drive.

Shifting the T-case between L-N-H is purely mechanical, no air is needed.

You should remove at least the T-case to front rear axle drive shaft when towing. With the T-case in neutral when being towed, only the rear output shaft is turning. Without the rest of the parts turning, no lube is being circulating in the T-case and you run the risk of burning up some bearings. The tow operator is probably more worried about liability when he told you to remove the drive shafts and rightfully so, it is a good idea to remove the shafts to protect your investment and it makes the tow easier as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not one to climb around on my back much. I'm also leary about fliud levels in differentials as some DRMOs policy is to drain everything. Considering both of these I just remove the 4 rear axle shafts. If the front axle will be on the ground I remove the drive flanges as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks