• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfere case lowereing

PAm1009

Santa brought me a RC 4" lift kit for my 1009 and am getting ready to install it when its nice out. Just had a question as to lowereing the transfere case as stated in the directions its says so by using the stock mounting hardware/sleeves on the truck. Is this fairly easy and how many sleeves do you put between the frame and t-case? thanks very much

Iceman3005

The stock mounting sleeves are on the top of frame from factory, take those sleeves and put on the bottom of frame between the cross member and the frame, install bolts. This will drop T-case about 1 inch, should be enough, if not here is a place to get it a little lower. Skyjacker Suspension 73-91 GM 4-8" TRANSFER CASE LOWERING KIT
Or could go to junk yard and get more sleeves and longer bolts from hardware store (grade eight).

PAm1009

So this isnt mandatory then? Does everybody with a 4" lift lower there t-case? I dont want to do something if its not nessacery

Iceman3005

lowering the case makes the rear single u-joint less likely to bind, the front shaft has a CV-joint (2 u-joints together) can handle steeper angles without binding. When I did my 8 inch lift the rear drive shaft would bind, so I lowered it 2 inch's, rear shaft quit binding, never had a binding issues with the front before or after I lowered T-case. Rear shaft on a blazer is very short with small lifts binding can be an issue. With only 4 inch's of lift may not need to lower.

Anubis8472

Lowering the case makes your frt angle WORSE.

WHY do people do this ???
It makes no sense.

This jumped out at me the first time I saw the spacer-swap lowering.
Because you are only lowering the rear while the motor mounts stay static you are tilting the drivetrain more so then lowering it.

I would rather use a CV on the rear shaft if I had a problem.
I suppose if it works, it works, but that front shaft is even shorter then the rear.

notsosanestan

hey man if you have a drill and a way to cut rectangular tubing make your own drop kit i did. Those sleeves dont look too strong when they are put between the frame and mount.

Attachments

Titanium Soldier

Ive ran 6 inches of lift without needing to move my crossmember and never had a problem on my civi blazer, no problems problem with DS binding, and i had a motor pushing 400hp through a sm465 and np208 to 35" muds, i did eventually drop it down, and it really didnt even help much with wear, i wore out ujoints just as fast , but magically my front DS would eat more u joints than before. idk if it was from lowering it or not though. ALSO i ran over a buried stump playing in the woods one day and almost tore my crossmember off, messed up the frame pretty good and tore the tcase mount... personnaly ide leave it alone :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks