• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfere Case Oil

sloryd

While inspecting one of my other m35's the transfer oil level is full but I noticed that the oil is a redish rust color. Needless to say this rased a red flag. This truck has not been driven very much, do to not completing all nessessary TM's and I have noticed no unusual noise from the transfer case. I am planning to change the oil in the case, transmission and axels before placing into service.

My question is.....are there know gear oils used by the military to have this color. All Axels indicate normal oil color and level. I have not seen any indication of water in them. This truck has been well taken care of by the military.

Just want to make sure I and not looking at rebearing the transfer case.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Don't sweat the red fluid if it seams to be the thickness of gear lube and doesn't smell like ATF ( gear oil will typically have a sulfur smell). It is dye used in rebuild and assembly shops to help spot leaks.

About 23 or 24 years ago, when I was a mechanized infantry Maintenance and Service Section Sergeant we got a whole trainload of M113 family vehicles in from Red River Army Depot. They were the replacements for an entire battalions worth of tracks. A little over 80 of them.

During the "service on receipt" we spotted the red lube in the final drives and panicked. We used every gallon of oil on Fort Drum over about two days and shot off an equipment fault report to RRAD. After we finish draining and flushing two final drive assemblies in each of about 50 vehicles we got a message that basically said "Oh, we use red dye to spot leaks"

Lance

Heavysteven

I used 80-90w.

Get a hand pump from Habor frieght. Find/buy a 5 gallon bucket from homedepot and drain the transfercase and transmission at the same time. Then fill both with new oil to one kuncle (yes this is important) with the pump and tube from under the truck. I could do it in 20 miuntes.

I don't trust the military so i'm changing all fuilds myself.2cents