• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmisión noise?

Fleurya

Guys, me again! Driving the tryck feels like gears shift beautifully but at 40mph i get a nasty grinding noise... it gets better if speed goes pass 45 or if I slow down to under 40... it is not vibration from exhaust heat shields... seens like something in the transmission...
Any input would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You are asking for alot on a diagnosis but here are some tips. Put your transfer case in Neutral and put the truck in drive. Go up to the speeds and see if it is still present. Or chock your wheels and have someone run it at that speed while you listen with a stethescope underneath and try to locate it. If it is gone when you do this then you may be looking for a transfer case issue. In that case you would drop the drivelines and run the truck while sitting still to see if the noise is present in the transfer case.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good suggestion Wes, at least this will isolate the issue and give a good starting point into getting the repair done!
Karl

Action

You are asking for alot on a diagnosis but here are some tips. Put your transfer case in Neutral and put the truck in drive. Go up to the speeds and see if it is still present. Or chock your wheels and have someone run it at that speed while you listen with a stethescope underneath and try to locate it. If it is gone when you do this then you may be looking for a transfer case issue. In that case you would drop the drivelines and run the truck while sitting still to see if the noise is present in the transfer case.
How will he know he is in the 40-45 range? Isnt the speed sender at the back of the transfer case?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How will he know he is in the 40-45 range? Isnt the speed sender at the back of the transfer case?
It will still shift gears and increase rpm. So apparently maybe he should know what rpm it makes the noise in what gear then

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fleurya

So I put the transfer case in neutral and then went through 1-2-H speed and was not able to reproduce the noise... does this mean the grinding noise is coming from transfer case when in 3rd speed at high RPM?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Next step would be to dump the drivelines off the transfer case and see if the noise is still there. and see if its present in the case.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had an odd noise at certain speeds when I first got her on the road. Turns out that a backing bar for something bolted inside the cab was never taken out when the bolts were removed from the inside and the equipment taken out. I was worried my trans was shot, turns out I just had to pull that 2' bar out so it wasn't rattling on top of the transfer case. Sometimes our problems are simple. Take another look under side of her.
BDGR

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd honestly start there. It needs to be done, these things sit for long periods of time and fluids will go bad. Get you a full trans kit with filter and gasket, and look for metal in the pan. The hubs are quite easy to drain and fill other than having to remove the wheels. There isn't much fluid in the hubs so cost isn't very high. I drained my oil, trans, case, hubs and ran it for about 50 miles, then did them all again just to flush it all out. I've also learned these are loud beasts overall, they make a racket driving and every klunk or rattle was concerning. After going over all of it, its just loud lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks