• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Cooler Line Leaks FMTV

mainer

I have had two separate transmission cooler line leaks of late. Both appear to be due to over tightening which caused cracks at the base of the fitting flares. The transmission oil to coolant heat exchanger, while heavy bracketed, does move and as such the entire assembly is subject to stress cracks occurring over time. I elected to replace both lines with high temperature hydraulic lines with SAE swivel fittings. I haven't reinstalled yet and as such will need to fabricate suitable hangers. The replacement hoses cost $185.00. Hope to check this off the worry list.

On another note, thank you for the air compressor/power steering pump bracket support loose bolts tip! Every one still there, every one was loose!

All the best. mainer

Givinup

I have had two separate transmission cooler line leaks of late. Both appear to be due to over tightening which caused cracks at the base of the fitting flares. The transmission oil to coolant heat exchanger, while heavy bracketed, does move and as such the entire assembly is subject to stress cracks occurring over time. I elected to replace both lines with high temperature hydraulic lines with SAE swivel fittings. I haven't reinstalled yet and as such will need to fabricate suitable hangers. The replacement hoses cost $185.00. Hope to check this off the worry list.

On another note, thank you for the air compressor/power steering pump bracket support loose bolts tip! Every one still there, every one was loose!

All the best. mainer
Can you please link to the loose bolt power steering suggestion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just search air compressor bracket. Or look at your truck and check the air compressor bolts on the front housing and look for the bracket that hold the air compressor and power steering pump up that’s not attached to the front housing. Loose bolts here cause the front housing to crack from supporting all the weight of the air compressor p steering pump combo, and is quite an ordeal to fix.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another suggestion is remove front plate not totally but just enough to get to nut on air compressor and change to a nylon lock nut.
The OEM nut will back off letting the gear come forward and you will lose air and power steering.
There's no key way on shaft it's just tapered.

scal67

When I was still in ARMY we had a transmission line completely pull out of transmission. Took the threads out of transmission body. We ordered new line as well as transmission. New lines were flexible ones, probably similar to one's you had made. So it may be a common occurrence.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any chance while someone is getting some flex hoses made up they could make me a set too?
I have the Parker part numbers in my parts spreadsheet. Any Parker hydraulic hose shop should be able to make it for you (about $150/ea). Only thing I would change is to move up to 1-1/8" diameter tube, from the 7/8" I used.

coachgeo

I have the Parker part numbers in my parts spreadsheet. Any Parker hydraulic hose shop should be able to make it for you (about $150/ea). Only thing I would change is to move up to 1-1/8" diameter tube, from the 7/8" I used.
check the rules about links in your "Signature line" If it is allowed...... then consider putting your spreadsheet in there as link. For sale links are not allowed but think regular links may be .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks