• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Cooler Lines

Radioshop

Hello. New to SS Forum, not new to CUCV's. I have had my 86 1009 since April of 2001. It's been laid up for a while but I'm getting it back on the road soon. I replaced the harmonic balancer, water pump, and new belts/hoses. The belt information here was great. It's been a s struggle to find belts that fit good, but with the info here I could get NAPA Premiums that fit like a dream.

For some reason my transmission cooler lines, the steel ones, sprung leaks. I have been repairing them with copper tubing and compression fittings, but I would really rather have the steel lines. Does anyone know a source for these? I'd take a good used set. If not I'll be making them.

I am also looking for a good passenger side fender inner fender well. Thanks!

mangus580

Thought so... (dont have mine with me today)

If someone were to send this place their old lines for a template, they would have them for us all to buy!

Radioshop

I guess I'll be bending. I could probably see if he's interested in doing some and send him what I've taken out. It would be a start. Oh well, another trip to the Snap-On truck....

Bozor1000

What you can do is check with LMC truck. They should have them. Or go to Napa and ask them. Sometimes you may have to special order them. Another suggest is go to a Pick A Part or any self service wrecking yard. I usually find parts there for my trucks.

mhodges

The local napa here doesn't carry pre-bent hard lines for anything, hyd, brake, etc. but they do have a cnc bender and a software database with the bend patterns for most domestic applications and will bend them to suit. They also do alot of equipment lines for hydraulics being in a large agricultural area....just a thought. Never not been able to get what I needed from them.

Radioshop

I tried LMC, I got the lines for a turbo 400 transmission (Blazer). They just didn't fit. In hindsight, I could try finding lines for a turbo 400/6.2 diesel truck. The lines I got, that didn't fit, ended up on the wrong side of the radiator. To further complicate the CUCV's have a completely different radiator that the civilian K-5. If I find a good answer, I'll post. The NAPA guys here can be pretty marginal. If it's not in the book, it doesn't exist.

mangus580

Radioshop said:
I tried LMC, I got the lines for a turbo 400 transmission (Blazer). They just didn't fit. In hindsight, I could try finding lines for a turbo 400/6.2 diesel truck. The lines I got, that didn't fit, ended up on the wrong side of the radiator. To further complicate the CUCV's have a completely different radiator that the civilian K-5. If I find a good answer, I'll post. The NAPA guys here can be pretty marginal. If it's not in the book, it doesn't exist.
The CUCV and civvy 6.2 counterpart SHOULD have the same radiator. Its a diesel thing....

mhodges

Try looking up a newer gen (91-95) 6.2 diesel Blazer (2door only) a buddy has one and i seem to remember them being on the driver's side of his when we dropped the tranny. too bad he sold it last year, would be nice to get pics

try a soft line...

if you have no luck,you might consider a flexible hydraulic line instead of a hard line.
when i swapped transmissions i had the same problem.no stock lines to be had,and a real pita to bend up new ones.

the fittings you need are 5/16 male,inverted flare fittings.this fits the female fittings on the turbo 400,as well as the fittings on the rad.a good hydraualic shop can set you up.i used 1/4" id lines,and got the fittings in stainless...pricey,but worth the corrosion resistance.

if there is an issue with sizing,remove the female fitting from the trans and take it to the hyd' shop.they should be able to match things up easily.the good part of soft lines is that you can fudge dimensions a bit and it will still fit up.and they are way easier to route.

the above fittings are also available as re-usable ones suitable for home assembly,and can take pressures over 1000 psi.if you go this route,just make sure to blow out the new lines on assembly to guarantee flow.i didn't,and it cost me.

Bozor1000

Re: try a soft line...

Ambulancechser said:
if you have no luck,you might consider a flexible hydraulic line instead of a hard line.
when i swapped transmissions i had the same problem.no stock lines to be had,and a real pita to bend up new ones.

the fittings you need are 5/16 male,inverted flare fittings.this fits the female fittings on the turbo 400,as well as the fittings on the rad.a good hydraualic shop can set you up.i used 1/4" id lines,and got the fittings in stainless...pricey,but worth the corrosion resistance.

if there is an issue with sizing,remove the female fitting from the trans and take it to the hyd' shop.they should be able to match things up easily.the good part of soft lines is that you can fudge dimensions a bit and it will still fit up.and they are way easier to route.

the above fittings are also available as re-usable ones suitable for home assembly,and can take pressures over 1000 psi.if you go this route,just make sure to blow out the new lines on assembly to guarantee flow.i didn't,and it cost me.
Out here we have a place called the "Hose Man". He can make pretty much any line you give him out of flexible hydraulic line. They made me some brake lines out of steel braid before when I lifted my K20.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks