• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission fluid level on dipstick doubt

I have a M998, 6.2L 3 speeds, today I decided to take her out for a drive, couple of hours long

then once I got back home, I checked all the fluids level

Went to pull out the transmission dipstick, and noticed that there was fluid way up the dipstick, almost like 10” above the checkered marks
Car was parked, levelled, transmission in neutral, engine running
The only thing that I did that I wasn’t suppose to do was shut the car down to grab a towel (so the engine was off for no more than 30 second, all the components and fluids were up to operating temps)

Could it be such an abundant overfill?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to check ALL the fluid levels, the fuel pump can go bad and pump diesel into the gear hubs, diffs, trans and transfer case so yes it could be that over full.

You need to check ALL the fluid levels, the fuel pump can go bad and pump diesel into the gear hubs, diffs, trans and transfer case so yes it could be that over full.
Wait what? How could the diesel pump mess all that up?

anyway, all the fluids were right, other than the ATF level, the transmission fluid wasn’t foamed up and it didn’t smell bad or burnt

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The body of the lift pump has a connection to the vent system, if the diaphragm fails it can pump diesel into the vent system contaminating everything connected to the system.
IF you bought this truck from anyplace other than a reputable shop that has already done all the required maintenance, or you bought it surplus the FIRST thing you should do is replace ALL filters and fluids, that truck has likely sat for a decade or so, all modern fluids have a shelf life, after a long time the additives start to fall out (separate) that is one reason you should change the engine oil at least once a year no matter how many miles you put on it.

The body of the lift pump has a connection to the vent system, if the diaphragm fails it can pump diesel into the vent system contaminating everything connected to the system.
IF you bought this truck from anyplace other than a reputable shop that has already done all the required maintenance, or you bought it surplus the FIRST thing you should do is replace ALL filters and fluids, that truck has likely sat for a decade or so, all modern fluids have a shelf life, after a long time the additives start to fall out (separate) that is one reason you should change the engine oil at least once a year no matter how many miles you put on it.
Ah jeez alright I see, the vehicle came from a guy who used it quite often, not as a daily but still as a “weekend car”
I checked and replaced engine oil and filter, all the gear fluids (geared hubs and diffs) and transfer case fluid, as well as flushed and refilled the cooling system
The only one left is the ATF in the transmission, which I checked, looks and smells pristine

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah jeez alright I see, the vehicle came from a guy who used it quite often, not as a daily but still as a “weekend car”
I checked and replaced engine oil and filter, all the gear fluids (geared hubs and diffs) and transfer case fluid, as well as flushed and refilled the cooling system
The only one left is the ATF in the transmission, which I checked, looks and smells pristine
Well maybe he over filled it, still good piece of mind to change the fluid/filter.