• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission fluid spurting out the vent tube

cam7002

Hello, everyone. So my CUCV was not shifting well into the different gears. Specifically, it would take off fine in DRIVE or REVERSE but it would not easily change to the next higher gear when I built up speed. Also, it would not shift back down too well, either.

Then, I got home with a load of gear and I pulled into the back yard. Parked the truck, got out and started working on some stuff on the house. I heard a noise and thought the radiator was boiling over (engine had been shut off for several minutes). Turns out transmission fluid was spurting out of the vent tube.

Can anyone give me an idea of what may be going on and what sort of treatment plan I should implement? Please, please, puh-LEASE!!! No easy AAMCO answers ("All Automatics Must Come Out"). :cry:

4bogginchevys

does it shudder when shifting up?

does it die when you have reduced speed or drag the engine down lower than normal?

If you get to 3rd gear can you get it to kick down to second?

I agree somewhat with prior post and add...fluid was hotter than ****/boiling?

Also check small vent on top of tranny case (reach up from drivers side)...this will be a pain in the but!

Last edited:

cam7002

I don't believe it shudders when shifting up, but I am not entirely sure what you mean. It does have a somewhat rough shift, but no shuddering. It is simply hesitant to shift into the next higher gear -- it will only shift when the rpm get relatively high.

It does not die or drag the engine down. Other than the changing gears and, now, the boiling over through the tube, I don't notice anything different in the way it runs.

It will kick back down to second alright if I am in third gear and then I decelerate. Soon as I give it the gas, it seems to be in the right lower gear as opposed to staying in the high gear. However, let's say I am running along at about 48 miles an hour and the rpm are getting up there. If I were dogging it, I would assume that it would stay in second a bit longer than if I were simply cruising. But the way I drive seems to have little bearing on when it will shift. And if I let off the gas, it should shift into a different (higher) gear, but it does not.

I hope I am being clear. I re-read this about ten times and I am not sure anyone but myself can understand me. :roll:

12vctd

1st check fluid level, also even thou the vent has fluid coming from it make sure its not partially clogged, this can cause pressures to build up and fluid to come out. your high shift can be adjusted with the vacum mod valve. Search the fourm for more info on that. Bad TQ convertors also can overheat your fluid. When you check the trans fluid level a good smell/visual test should help you figure out if the fluid is burnt. Trans fluid has a burnt smell and is much darker in color.

4bogginchevys

aren't tranny's fun!

I don't believe it shudders when shifting up, but I am not entirely sure what you mean. It does have a somewhat rough shift, but no shuddering. It is simply hesitant to shift into the next higher gear -- it will only shift when the rpm get relatively high.

It does not die or drag the engine down. Other than the changing gears and, now, the boiling over through the tube, I don't notice anything different in the way it runs.

It will kick back down to second alright if I am in third gear and then I decelerate. Soon as I give it the gas, it seems to be in the right lower gear as opposed to staying in the high gear. However, let's say I am running along at about 48 miles an hour and the rpm are getting up there. If I were dogging it, I would assume that it would stay in second a bit longer than if I were simply cruising. But the way I drive seems to have little bearing on when it will shift. And if I let off the gas, it should shift into a different (higher) gear, but it does not.

I hope I am being clear. I re-read this about ten times and I am not sure anyone but myself can understand me. :roll:
I forgot to ask you to check for a presence of vaccuum at the modulator...a pin hole in your vaccuum line can make the tranny want to use the gov. gear to shift, but because there's some vaccuum it shifts before it winds all the way up.

I'm trying to use experience/guess thru the internet here so as much as it makes sense to me, I could be wrong....:arrow:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks