• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission. help ID this piece in my transmission pan. ??

kentuckycucv

Transmission making a whirling wizz noise when cold. takes a little step on the peddle for it to engage into gear. whizz consistant with rpm and does it in park nutral and in gear. Shift ok when driving.

As per sugestion I am changing my filter and fluid.
i dropped the pan and found this piece inbetween the filter and vavle body. What is it and where does it go?

It is a little bigger than a 1/4 socket and looks like a tube, no threads smooth inside and out, no markings.

Attachments

kentuckycucv

Ok never mind... it is the spacer for the bolt that hold the filter on. :roll: I thought I had a part drop out somewhere. Hopfully changing the filter will fix my transmission problem.

kentuckycucv

Good news! I Did the fluid change and filter change and my Wizzing noise is gone. And my truck shfts like it has a new transmission.:driver:
Now i am tempted to delete the post because of my intial frealk out when that part fell out and hit me in the face..... but I bet this might help someone with the same problem.

P.S. Its a messy job even though I put a huge piece of cardboard under my truck and an oil change pan...i still managed to make another huge oil spot on my driveway.:mad:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your whirling wizz noise was more than likely a stuck valve. The new fluid cleaned it up and now it works fine.

I like to use the plastic concrete mixing pan from Lowes for oil and transmission fluid changes. It will hold many gallons of fluid and is big enough to catch almost anything that drips

Last edited:

Matt65

During my filter change I thought I was missing this spacer. I am glad you posted this so I know what the origional piece actually looked like.

Be sure to verify magnet presence in the pan and clean. It will be covered in gel - like ferous particles.

Terracoma

I like to use the plastic concrete mixing pan from Lowes for oil and transmission fluid changes. It will hold many gallons of fluid and is big enough to catch almost anything that drips
After seeing CombatJump's transmission threads, I also used a concrete mixing tub with great results.

I put mine atop a Blitz oil catch pan (as a booster seat), which helped out immensely!

idM1028

:ditto:

The front and rear diffs should have magnets as well (at least my 1028 does). You can pull them out and clean the ferrous gunk off with brake cleaner. Just make sure you put them back in the same spot!

lavarok

Your whirling wizz noise was more than likely a stuck valve. The new fluid cleaned it up and now it works fine.

I second the use of the concrete mixing tubs! They work great for all kinds of jobs.

kentuckycucv

Yes I removed the magnet and cleaned it real good and put it back. Maybe i should change the diff and rear end fluids...after i buy that concrete mixing pan..... Or I thought of covering my entire concrete driveway in motor oil for a consistant look.

idM1028

The diffs aren't too bad. Take the bolts out, crack the cover from the bottom and let the oil slowly drain out from the bottom before yanking it off completely. As for the driveway, I'd say throw about a bottle of Simple Green on it and spray it down with a garden hose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks