• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission help

axlr8

ok members. i am trying to convince the dad to get a cucv to tow our boat....he wants to be able to get to 75 or 80 and still be able to tow 3k.....what could be done to aid this....70 will do er but faster top top will keep her nicely purring at 70.....shoot a few ideas this way....thanks!

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3k is a bit heavy for the M1009, IMO, plus its a short wheel base vehicle, stability at that speed may be a concern. the m1009 will have new tires,,right? have him buy you the truck and just follow him to the lake:beer:

axlr8

ok so is there a better trans that can be swapped/traded for better speeds hauling tops of 1500 on a low center of gravity trailer???? :?

axlr8

alrighty just the answer im looking for....thanks oddave! what kinda vehicles should i focus on to find one of these hunks of metal?:beer:

axlr8

might i ask what speeds i should be looking for at the 2200 to 2400 rpm range or is that to difficult? and thanks for the speedy help guys

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are wanting to go 80mph in a diesel powered CUCV with 4.56 gears, your engine will blowup in a short period of time.

These trucks where NOT designed for this application. 55mph is the designed top speed.

The M1009 has 3.08 gears but doesn't tow very well. People do it but it has it's limitations.

I guess you could spemd a BUNCH of money changing engines, transmissions, gearing and tires to achieve what you want.

I would look for a gasser with an overdrive and 3.73 gearing.

YMMV

axlr8

ok heres what i came up with....a m1009 with a th700r4 running through the np203? and 3.73 gears....it says in 4th shell run 1800 rpms at 75 mph is this correct or am i reading wrong?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks