• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission interchangeable parts

roach57

I just bought a 1965 M35A2 Kaiser 6x6 and the input bearing on the Spicer 3053A 5 speed is shot and ruined the keeper and messed up the input shaft (maybe some other parts inside).

But I have found a wrecked M292 6x6 (not sure of the year) that has a 5 speed direct transmission in it and taken out and delivered to my door is only $400. My question is does this transmission bolt up? and are some of the parts interchangeable between them? I couldn't get underneath to get a good look at the tranny so I am not sure if it was close to the same as the one i got or not.

Any help would be appreciated in the matter because i am looking to fix it realy soon.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6x6 tranny's can be had for 50$ easy. If you paid 400 it should be NOS. They are very easy to rebuild. I could not imagine having over 200$ in a transmission.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to this very best Forum, a world of info, more than you will ever need! :lol:

Yes, the 3052 (5th direct) will perfectly bolt up. Most parts are identical, not so the input shaft B, the countergears WW and UU and fifth gear S.
Take a look at the manuals section, it's all there!

Gerhard

Attachments

roach57

well there just isn't anywhere locally to get a transmission and shipping is a killer. I just don't have the time or options right now. And where could you pick them up for $50 out of curiousity, the cheapest i found was $250.

But from what you guys are saying is that the input shafts are not interchangeable though huh? So if i buy this one i will have to run it them. Guess i could run it temporarily till i can get parts for my overdrive one.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be that John Colwell still has a few that looked in fine shape, for 175. In Texas though. Never seen one for $50.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
roach57 said:
... Guess i could run it temporarily till i can get parts for my overdrive one.
Parts will be expensive! Better try to find another 3053A, with the 3052 your max. speed will be 45mph!

roach57

Well we all know these things aren't built for speed anyway. but i am going with some 14.00 R20 tires anyway so that should help some. I have been hearing that parts are expensive though.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
14.00R20s on an M35? 49" OD, that means mayor mods.!
In that case a 3052 wouldn't be that bad, 45 mph converts to 54 mph!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL has them often that go with no bids. I got 2 from them in Ft Polk for $80. I also got one from Maccus in SD that came from CO for 150 I believe (been a few years).

roach57

Well thanks for the help guys i m going to call Alpha Heaven tomorrow and get a quote as well as Mangus suggested and if they are gonna be too much i will stuck spending $400 to get her back on the road

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alpha Heaven's web site shows $250 for a used one. You might try PM-ing MACCUS he has a parts connection in ND. Also, RYAN was parting out several dueces in Pryor Lake MN. He would probably be your best bet.

roach57

small update, i checked with alpha heaven and they wanted $500 for a rebuilt ready to bolt in one and he said that was all they had. And the shipping came out to be $160 so it was a little more than i wanted to spend right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks