• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission issue 2 and 3 gear

Curtis81

Good afternoon everyone. I have a 1972 M35A2 with transmission issues. I felt 2 gear slip once now and again and then onetime I just lost 2 and 3rd gear. It feels like I am shifting into and will stay in gear but there is nothing there. I had a shop look at it and they said there was some pin that was bad in it. Does anyone have information on something like this. I would also be looking to source parts and maybe a used or rebuilt transmission. I live in South West Wisconsin and don't know anyone in the area that is willing to work in it.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Curtis81

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 3053 that works except for a tooth missing on the countershaft front gear. Sounds like your problem is in other locations that are good in this transmission. Parts likely could be taken out of it to repair yours. I can work on it (transmission out) but it will take some time and a gasket/seal kit and with two trips for it so the distance is a factor if I do it. I am located SE of Warsaw, IN so it is a distance from you. PM me if interested.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most probably you have sheared both keys in the mainshaft, for the splined 2nd-3rd synchro hub.

Do some reading here, to better understand what I said...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For new parts, try to contact member m-35tom, via PM or email tombauer@hughes.net (I just noticed he hasn't logged-on for the last two weeks)

Tom is our Spicer#3053-guru and I'm sure he could provide every single part you need to fix your transmission.

Other options would be vendors like Erik's; Big Mike; etc.
You may have to shop around a bit, since prices are all over the place...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I might have a main shaft, but I have no time to look for it till after the 21st.(if your in no hurry)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have a takeout main shaft. You may not need one, depending whether or not the sheared keys in the spinning gears caused damage, yet.
The keys are standard keys - I actually got a set from my NAPA guy's magic drawer box.

Unless you are dead-set on swapping trannys, perhaps taking the top off (while tranny remains in the truck) and trying to see what condition the shaft and gears are in would help as a starting point?

Taking the shaft out and pressing the gears on whith new keys is not terrible to do.

Not questioning what the shop said, but bent shift forks could also do strange things when shifting.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, If your gonna swap out the trans, pull it and look inside. Sounds like the truck isn't going anywhere anyhoo.