• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission leaking, found out why

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
treeguy; Also why is the valve cover vent open to the out side atmosphere and not connected in some way to the trucks air intake to burn as combustion? Isn't this how most vehicles are set up said:
That to I believe is part of the fording kit. slobber tube/ crank case breather gets extended with rubber hose above water line. PCV is more for emissions and is realy just dead air no advantage to burn it.

No problems but you would think the path of least restence will always be the input shaft.

Last edited:
There is a rubber disk the spring pushes on to seal out water.
I've seen that type also, but it is not typical of at least some new ones we get these days. Instead the cap is so designed to deter the entrance of water. I'd probably say I would prefer the type with the disc; but then we don't know what material the disc is made from and how long it might really perform its function well. I would have to have more facts about the materials used before being able to make a really good judgement call I guess.

I can also add this; even with the type you mentioned with the disc in place; sudden submersion of a hot gear box in water such as during fording will cause water to be drawn in past the disc contaminating oil in spite of it. If the truck is to be exposed to fording operation; I would certainly install extension hoses at all vents to be sure they remained above water at all times.

My other question is that if oil is some how introduced into the bellhousing, would that allow oil to get onto the clutch and cause the clutch to slip? Esp. if you had a rear main seal leak and all the plugs in the bottom of the bellhousing?
MSeries, you beat me to the clutch issue.
A rear main oil leak can certainly wind up causing clutch problems if it gets bad enough, however it is far less likely to get on the clutch than the airborne vapor from the trans that was discussed earlier.

The reason is oil leaking from the rear main will either run down the back of the engine block and drip out the drain hole, or if it is aggressive enough, to make it to the back side of the flywheel, centrifical force of the flywheel rotation will sling it outward and against the interior surfaces of the housing where it will also find an outlet at the drain hole, but more than likely won't get on the clutch.

If the drain plug is installed, of course the oil will eventually build up to the point of being slung literally everywhere in sight.

treeguy

So there fore DON'T install that drain plug all the time. Thats what I am getting from all this discussion. This is probably the whole reason. Thank you MSeries for putting it all together.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did look at some of my trucks and the Deuces and 5 tons had the vent there. I respectifuly don't see how they could build pressure with the open front input. O well try and replace you vent and hope that helps.