• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission noise

When I was out for a field trip yesterday I noticed that after around 12 miles of driving (cold start) the transmission gradually develops a loud whine in the 5th gear, starting at a little under 40mph.
To me it seems like it is linked to warming up of the transmission.

I hear this since I brought the deuce home a little over one week ago, and I didn't hear it when test-driving it with the seller because we didn't drive long enough.

The noise is real loud, louder than the motor-noise and gets on your nerves even with the VIC1 H161 headsets on. The transmission is dry on the outside. No dripping. The seller says he changed the fluid prior to the sale, but I don't know what he filled in. He also said the transmission is a low milage unit (under 10k).

Any clues on where to look or what to expect?

Thanks,
Mark

acetomatoco

Check your fluid levels and be sure there is GL1 in there... 90 wgt.. The transfer cases usually sing really loud when they get warm...I was stationed in Karlsruhe in 1965-66...555 Engineer Group. And, by all means get all the manuals and study them every time you get a chance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Transmission noise

m-35tom said:
the 3053 is a very quiet easy to shift transmission...
Not in my humble opinion. More or less they all get louder when hot and harder to shift, too!

dirtyfingernails

RE: Re: RE: Transmission noise

Yeah, I was curious about that. I thought it was my imagination, but I would swear that my tranny is a little more difficult to shift when warm. Kinda sticky not grindy. Full of correct lube too.

spicergear

I have a 3053A in my big M715 behind a 427 Chevy TD. I've put all kinds of miles on that daily driving for a while, trip to Ft. Meade, LBL Kentucky...all over northeast. It's been in that truck like 6 or 7 years now. 3rd-4th is the only shift that could inprove but it's a quiet tranny. Oh, and that LBL trip was 800 miles each way only stopping for fuel.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

well i have what i know is a good trans because i built it and it is quiet all the time and very easy to shift, even hot which is about 150f and goes back into 2nd at 10 mph easily. of course it shifts slowly compared to a car or light truck which it is not. it is very common for 2nd gear to wear on the mainshaft and moisture and rust damage take its toll also.

Hmmm, so I'll check the fluids in the transmission and the transfercase and try to find out where the noise is exactly coming from. Maybe its not the transmission at all!

Thanks for the input.

I pulled the top of the transmission now and found the reason for that loud whining noise in the fifth gear.
A part of a tooth is missing of one of the lower gear wheels, and the large gear wheel which slips on it when the 5th is engaged looks battered or pitted.
The rest of the transmission looks good to me, and it behaves OK otherwise (good shifting, no gears dropping out, etc). The top of the case with the shift mechanism seemingly looks, too. I can rotate the transimssion with engaged gears easily by hand (with depressed clutch and transfer in neutral, if course :) ) and there is no uneven feeling in it.

Is possible to repair that (change the gearwheels) without special tools? I tried the TMs but haven't found the section where this is covered, maybe someone can point me to the right direction or let go of a few tips or hints on that task.

Sorry about my english, when the terms become too technical it might sound awkward!

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

Goatwerks

"Is possible to repair that (change the gearwheels) without special tools? I tried the TMs but haven't found the section where this is covered, maybe someone can point me to the right direction or let go of a few tips or hints on that task."
Mark, the answer to your question is yes. The gear on the mainshaft looks re-useable unless there are any deformities not shown in your pic. After removal of unit, you will need a couple of pullers, a bearing splitter, snap ring pliers and a press cappable of removing the broken gear from the counter gear assembly. New Gaskets are a must, undamaged bearings can be re-used although most are inexpensive and common sizes.
The other alternative is replacing the entire countergear assembly, but if you do that you may have to recalculate any shim packs that affect that set of bearings.

I will give you these words of wisdom to follow when dealing with hard to find parts, replace only what is broken, always(with US equipment) keep shim packs intact for re-use, dismantle only what has to be repaired.

acetomatoco

Xfer cases can be noisy and of course the ebrake shoes bounce around if all the little springs are not in place and if the mounting pins are worn. Lots of grease fittings and oil can points to look after... in the LO 9-2320-209-12

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
first, no shimpacks. second the gear you show under pitting is 3rd gear and looks new, that is the way they will look until they wear in which will take quite a while. you have a broken tooth on 5th countershaft gear. you will need to pull the trans to remove the countershaft. replacing the gear is quite simple. the 5th gear on mainshaft has just a snap ring holding a thrust washer that holds the gear. the real question is why the gear tooth broke. either something got in it or possibly the 14 rollers that support the mainshaft are not all in the head gear or the front of the mainshaft may be badly worn. and again i will say, i cannot hear my trans or transfer even with a muffler, but they are in new condition.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i have owned my truck since 2002. it has whined from about 45 mph. its a loud whiney noise thats so bad i wear ear plugs on long rides. my truck gets driven every weekend atleast 25 miles, but usually more on saturday and sunday. its been used as a toy hauler a few times and as a scrap metal truck movin sometimes up to 10,000+# on major highways. the trans has never skipped a beat. i dont beleive it whines when you clutch and coast, but i never really paid attention to that part of it. if for some reason it locked up, fell out of the truck, or otherwise imploded i really dont care. i got a bunch of connections to where i can get it home and fixed for nothing more than beer and pizza :D

alphadeltaromeo

Output shaft bearing may be bad, causing the teeth not to completely seat...that could have caused it. This is what happened when I sold my deuce. It always shifted better when heated up...never worse, but 2 hours out of town, the new owner lost 5th and it was because of the output shaft bearing like I described. I'd potentially expect to see some sort of pattern on the other teeth, but maybe not. Just something to check while in there. Great pics though!

Ok, thanks for the information, I also found the according TMs ( TM 9-2520-246-34 ff for the record).
The noise is really extremely loud. I once drove without ear-protection for about an hour and was half deaf afterwards.
I wonder if there is not another problem besides the missing tooth, as Tom and alpha said.

Interesting that the gear which I found to be damaged actually is like new!
I probably get a second transmission to swap and rebuild this one in the meanwhile, when I have all the parts required.
I'll also do some "fishing" with a strong magnet to see what's on the bottom of the oil-bath.

Mark

alphadeltaromeo

You did such a good job of taking pics the first time, when you do your rebuild, think of it as a project for us too...take lots of pics. That way we'll all learn from your effort [thumbzup]