• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission oil light

MCSFBN

I tried searching and not sure if I searched correct or not but I was unsuccessful in finding topic on possible issue. I have a 91 M925A2. I am still going through and working on things as budget allows. Truck is operational and has its legs stretched about 2 times a week and engine warmed about 4-5. While I am driving I have noticed an amber light in the cab that at about 55MPH begins to flash. It is labeled as "TRANSMISSION OIL". I have watched all other gauges and nothing appears overheated and when I bring her back down to around 50MPH it stops flashing. Am I low on fluid even though it seems to show fine when checked. Is this an indication of something catastrophic lurking? What causes this and what's the function of the indicator light?
Thank You!!

dmetalmiki

When was the truck last (fully) serviced? I would (Be tempted to) Check the transmission filters. And or, the temperature control switch.

Last edited:

MCSFBN

Honestly I'm not sure. I did not think to ask previous owner because I was so stoked I was finally getting my truck. However I do have intentions of doing so pretty soon when we get some clear weather. I have been looking at one of the complete service filter kits. Anything else I would need?

dmetalmiki

Read up section v11 Page 3-353. In TM2320-272-24-1. (2-3-4 (are further interesting reading)).
Strange how the army T.O. lists a "temperature pressure sensor switch".
There are a host of decent suppliers of filter kits and accessories, just google 'M925A2 transmission filter kits'.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have an overspeed light near the transmission light? Maybe the wires are incorrectly connected. A look at wire numbers and schematics may help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if there is a dashboard drawing with explanation of everything on the dash, in the operators manual for this truck.

MCSFBN

Rmtaunton....your trying hard for? Am I missing something? Thanks for the replies folks. All help and guidance is greatly appreciated. If my questions are trivial I apologize. We all start learning at some point. My little 15 year stint was focused at patrolling and calling for fire as a Marine rifleman, then ECPs and air base ground defense as a air guard security forces member, so very little truck driving and a lot of grunting.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little poking and sarcasm is a lot better than a real issue with the truck!
The overspeed light will come on at lower MPH, with each lower PSI setting on the CTIS, and if I remember right stays on constant while using the emergency setting.

MCSFBN

No hard feelings here and no problem with sarcasm. That's why I used the smiley face thinking that would clarify I wasn't offended. I also briefly explained why I was asking a possible bone head question, I'm a grunt and ironically enough my sister in law married a guy from Motor T that she met while visiting. Should use him as my personal walking talking TM. 74 I ain't crushin the truck have you seen the price of scrap lately. :p:p

Rmtaunton

Yes we all were new at one time and congrats on the truck by the way and trust me you aren't the first to ask that very question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCSFBN

Rmtaunton Thank you! I honestly have done more riding in my personal 5 ton than I did in Uncles. I also just found TMs linked on the Texas A&M site. Put Drivers, maint 1,2 & 4 all on a disc. Time to start reading.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter