• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission or Transfer Case leak

Midnight Rider

The last time I changed the oil, I noticed there was some sort of fluid covering the transmission/transfer case. I checked the fluid in the transmission and it was OK.

I finally got a chance today to take a closer look. It appears that the rear half of the transmission pan, the transfer case skid plate, the front driveshaft, and the transfer case are covered in ATF fluid. It looks like it is only on the passenger side of the 1009. It has also covered the passenger side exhaust and underside of body. I guess this is from when I was driving.

I wasn't able to check the fluid in the transfer case yet because I didn't have a big enough socket/wrench. I'll get that tomorrow.

I didn't see any visible leaking spots and I've searched through the various posts about this sort of thing.

My question is for those of you that have had tranny/transfer case leaks, which part was bad that would cause it to coat the underside like I described?

I plan on driving down to my parent's house tomorrow to park it in the garage to take a better look at it. I don't feel like crawling around in my gravel driveway anymore. I plan on looking at the various seals between the transmission and transfer case as stated in several posts. I'll check over the T-Case adapter too for cracks.

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some insight into this problem to hopefully save me some time. The 1009 is my daily driver. I get my mom's PT Cruiser :sad: tomorrow.

wikallen

If it is on the tranny pan, then I would not believe it is the transfer case. Not unless you drive backwards a lot. I would clean everything off again really well. Put the tcase in N and transmission in drive and warm up the tranny a bit. Shut it off, then look for the leak.

Check the seal in the tail, check to see if the pan bolts are snug. Make sure it is not coming from the TC at the front.

Midnight Rider

Well it looks like it might just be a bad seal on the transmission pan. Didn't see any leaks coming from the T Case adapter. and the Transfer case wasn't low either. Transmission was about a pint low. I'll keep checking it and probably just try to replace the pan seal sometime.