• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission problems after rebuild

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you chose the wrong shop to do the work! live and learn

What's so special about your truck, that you need a custom(non-stock) TC?

Nothing special with the truck. Just a mostly stock truck. I just wanted a strong reliable TC that will be up to the task of towing and increase my fuel mileage slightly. Plus unlike all the others it came with a good warranty. And I know im going to keep the truck a long long time so I want a TC that is going to last even after I rebuild the engine.

nhdiesel

A custom TC isn't going to help with mileage any. You pretty much have the option of stock or going with a higher stall (higher engine RPMs before takeoff), which would reduce mileage. Hopefully the one you are getting is stronger than stock, but honestly the TC wasn't much of a problem with the Dodges; then they go, its a symptom, not the problem. Usually they go from either the wrong fluid being used, or from excessive wear in the transmission and particles get into the TC and cause problems.

Hopefully it all comes out good for you in the end.

Jim

It has a higher stall and they claim it will slightly increase fuel mileage.
XTM
These units comprise our finest tow convertor technology. All units are designed with Heavy Duty use in mind. From extra brazing to greater fluid capacity, bearing assemblies. special stator configurations and design increase torque multiplication, allowing more towing capacity and in most cases, increased gas mileage.

Ok I have a new symptom maybe you guys could give me something to ask them to specifically look for in the tranny.

Remember how I was tell you it will bleed off speed and the rpm will stay the same, well it did that 4 times today in a trip to town and back. It almost feels as if someone is applying the brakes while keeping their foot on the gas. If I give it just a slight bit more of gas it gets worse almost like when your driving a manual and your in to high of a gear for the speed your going. But if I floor it it will shift and be fine till it shifts back in to over drive then it will start all over again. Then it will go away after doing that a few times.

But today I didnt floor it I let it get slower and slower till the engine started chugging and I heard and felt popping kind of sounded like back fires but it felt like something was building tension and releasing it.

Any ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like 2 gears are getting pressure to the clutches, at the same time.

Did you price a re-manufactured transmission? That may be your next option, when something breaks in this one...

nhdiesel

Yea, I'm with doghead on that one. That's the only explanation I can think of. And consider this, if that IS happening, that transmission is tearing itself up every time it happens.

Jim

Thought I would give you an update. The truck runs great now, and no check engine lights anymore. They replaced the Torque converter and put in AT4, which made a big difference. I also found that when they were under there they dislodged the hoses connected to the charcoal canister, they were old and dry rotted and split so I replaced them. That got rid of the backfire and one of the CELs.

Since this whole thing started ive replaced:
Both Pre 02 sensors
IAC Valve
TPS
Map Sensor
Charge air temp sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Spark Plugs
Cap and Rotor
Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid

The truck runs like new finally. Still on my list is to replace all the vacuum tubing.

USAWEAPON777

Good that your truck is running good now. To bad about all the hassle it was. I got a 91 dakota and its been beat up very bad but everything still is running fine at 114,000 now. There good trucks in my book. Hope you don't have any more suprises :?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The rebuilder said he found broken springs in the OD section and worn out bands and clutchs through out. He told me though that the TC was fine and did not need replaced. So he fixed everything and put the tranny back in and added an external cooler and bypassed the factory cooler."

turn-key job, their responsibility. Take it back and tell him it is not fixed. You pay only for parts if the TC is bad, their fault for not catching it. Be sure to know the cost of the TC beforehand so there is no padding of the bill. Don't overlook that the transmission itself was perhaps not fixed right. If the TC is bad and shavings in it have ruined the new tranny, it is still their fault based on the above. Also check for bent or crushed hydraulic lines, obstructed hoses, etc etc..

The only thing worse than being overcharged is getting a bad job and being overcharged.

If the transmission EVER needs rebuilt again I will do it myself. I will get a manual and some instructional DVDs and tear into it. I wish I knew someone who rebuilds them that would show me or even just let me watch how they do it, and ask question as to why they do things certain ways.

tm america

I rebuild transmissions ..If you plan on doing that on yourself you're gonna need a press and other specialty tools.Anyone can rebuild a trans but knowing what are the problems areas and what to do to fix the problems not just change the bad parts is the secret...Anytime you build a 42re you should put new snap rings in the od section ,a shift kit , use the updated seals in the dirrect drum,put new gov pressure sensor and soloniod.doing these thing plus the normal stuff like a banner kit ,bushing kit ,thrust washer kit,bands,filter and any hard parts that are bad,will ensure years of use after a rebuild.I,ve put over 130,000miles on mine since i did it like seven years ago and still going good...1300 sounds reallly cheap for that trans my guess is he just patched it up and didnt do any of the updates..... but hey as long as it's working thats alll that matters...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks