• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission question

Bulldogg

Hey was wondering if anyone else's 5ton truck does this? My M923A1 jerks hard when I slow down and stop at stop signed is this normal? Trans fluid is good and I let it warm up before driving it:shock:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can try lowering the fluid pressure. The adjustment looks like a kick down cable as you adjust and make the cable longer it lowers the pressure. Also switching over to allison dex3 fluid helps.
Will

mcmullag

it is kinda weird driving the truck around an urban area and you feel each upshift and then when coming to a stop light, each downshift. That would be interesting to see if it was smoother shifting if you had 5 tons in the cargo bed.

plode

My truck does this too. I recently had 6000lbs of mulch in the bed, and the 2-1 downshift/jerk wasn't any smoother then when the truck is unloaded.

Artisan

This is real simple.

THEY ALL DO THAT! Why? Because they are a BEFFY transmission
in a tactical vehicle designed for MILITARY off road movements of HEAVY Equipment AMMO etc and
that it is designed to pull the weigh of the truck, it's payload PLUS a 15K trailer!
I dare you to add up all the weight a 5 ton is "rated" at, on AND off road!

Hello! That is a LOT of weight my friend ! No tranny will act NICE running close to empty
when designed to pull those numbers.

I said the same thing when I got mine THEN, I towed 7 trucks VERY similar to my
truck for a total of about 77 miles all uphill. It took the edge off that downshift
just a wee little bit.

Next add 6000 pounds+ to the bed and go for a drive and see how tame it feels.

Nope, nothing wrong, any attempts to "fix" a perfectly good tranny will surely
cause issues. Switch to Dex? NOPE ! Just USE IT and add a LOT of weight
in the back if you want cushie. (well, better said a little less brutal)

quickfarms

The first question is are you following the Allison drivers manual? They do not like being driven like a car.

For some reason the military does not set these up the way Allison recommends. A good Allison rebuilder can adjust the trans so it is very smooth. The bad news is on the mechanical transmissions it is better to set them up on the bench.

Ford Mechanic

Anyone know the proper way to adjust/check the throttle valve cable on these trans? I'm fixing to install the updated throttle linkage and wanted to install it properly while I had it apart.

On a side note, what does your trans temp normally read when the trucks up to operating temp? Mine moves when the truck is turned on but not after that, stays 100-150. So I'm wondering if it's really running that cold, or the sender's shot......

Thanks! I couldn't find a mention of any of this in the manual.

Ford Mechanic

Bump.... No one's had any issues or need to check these things???? Or knows how hot they're trans normally runs?

Anyone know the proper way to adjust/check the throttle valve cable on these trans? I'm fixing to install the updated throttle linkage and wanted to install it properly while I had it apart.

On a side note, what does your trans temp normally read when the trucks up to operating temp? Mine moves when the truck is turned on but not after that, stays 100-150. So I'm wondering if it's really running that cold, or the sender's shot......

Thanks! I couldn't find a mention of any of this in the manual.

MtnSnow

Mine usually stays very cool and the only time I have seen mine at 185-190* is when I had run the truck on the highway for about 40 miles and it included a few hilly sections in 72* weather

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Temperature - I haven't seen mine above 150 degrees. As for the shifting, it is an automatic transmission, meaning it does not mesh and un-mesh gears. It uses planetary reductions involving allowing something to turn or not allowing something to turn. That is done with clutches and bands. Slow application/release of the clutches does make for a smoother shift but also wears the clutch linings faster and builds heat. That is why they are set to shift the way they are. I pay good money to get my auto transmissions in my cars to shift quickly and firmly. There is no way I would want to go to smoother shifts with these trucks. IMO, if you want smooth, drive a Cadillac:)

Vintage iron

I only see it in my trucks when I stop quick. I always try to plan ahead on my stops and start slowing down before intersections. I noticed it is worse in A2 trucks too. I don't think the transmission was adjusted for the Cummins 8.3L

Last edited: