• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Question

WalterMitty

My M998 is a 1987, and I have the 3 speed transmission. I may have overfilled the transmission, and wanted to know the best way to take a bit out. I've seen some reports that my transmission doesn't have a drain plug, but when crawling underneath, I think I see a drain plug. 1) is the screw head on the silver/rusty pan on the left my transmission drain plug? I'm pretty sure it is, but wanted to check. I also assume the black pan on the right with the drain plug is my engine oil pan. 2) if yes, and I need to drain a bit of fluid out, would it be best to use this drain plug to let a half quart run out (I would catch with a measuring cup)? Thanks

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walter,
Your assumptions are correct. Looks like your truck is equipped with a trans pan w/ drain plug. Be prepared to get a little trans fluid down your arm. Better get a full size drain pan ready because by the time you
collect the half quart of fluid, the plug is going to slip out of your hands, fluid in the eyes and mouth, losing grip of overfilled measuring cup. Then clean up in aisle 6........

WalterMitty

HA! Thanks. I might just back it out slowly, and capture the trickle. I added one quart, and the trans level went from ADD to way over....I won't do that again..next time I will add in 1/4 quart increments.

WalterMitty

Walter,
Your assumptions are correct. Looks like your truck is equipped with a trans pan w/ drain plug. Be prepared to get a little trans fluid down your arm. Better get a full size drain pan ready because by the time you
collect the half quart of fluid, the plug is going to slip out of your hands, fluid in the eyes and mouth, losing grip of overfilled measuring cup. Then clean up in aisle 6........
back out the bolt....just a little...one more quarter turn...wait for the trickle....BOLT IS OUT!!!! 1 pint filled immediately, GET THE BOLT BACK ON!!!! Hand covered, fluid down to elbow, bolt in, whipe tricep before shirt is ruined...job done!!!!

math on removal....1 pint in cup + ground + hand + arm = oh....who knows....maybe 1.5 pints!

Post drainage job...measuring just a tick over full....I think I'm good for now.

Good times.

image.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walter, way to go, minimal mess is always good. Consider yourself a 91 Bravo. Take the truck out for a good drive and get it warmed up, then check it again on level ground. Where in Cook Co do you reside? I was born and raised on the So. Side of Chicago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks