• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission retrofit/replacement, what fits, eaton fuller?

Tankco Engineer

So this is my first post ever, I am stranded in Maryland and I need help. I have an M109 multifuel deuce from 1962, it is my RV and I took it to maryland to visit my mom. The transmission lost a few teeth off 5th gear and I had to limp it the remaining 300 miles to moms house at 30mph in 4th gear. Now that I made it here, any ideas as to what transmission I could swap in. I am open to anything at this point, automatic, manual, military or civilian. I am wondering if anyone knows what else could possibly work with the ldt 465 multifuel and its sae 3 bellhousing, maybe an eaton fuller 7 speed? I was going to try and find a stock replacement but they are hard to find and I only have $500. I need a more durable transmission so this never happens again. I plan on doing more long highway trips, hopefully cruising at 55mph. If anyone has knowledge or parts that would help me please let me know. I'm stuck here until I fix this rig. I was even considering welding and regrinding the busted gears, fixing it cuban style. Thanks for the help.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a vendor not to far east of you in Delaware, also you could try to get a hold of M35tom on here ,he's not far and knows all about the transmission.

rustystud

So this is my first post ever, I am stranded in Maryland and I need help. I have an M109 multifuel deuce from 1962, it is my RV and I took it to maryland to visit my mom. The transmission lost a few teeth off 5th gear and I had to limp it the remaining 300 miles to moms house at 30mph in 4th gear. Now that I made it here, any ideas as to what transmission I could swap in. I am open to anything at this point, automatic, manual, military or civilian. I am wondering if anyone knows what else could possibly work with the ldt 465 multifuel and its sae 3 bellhousing, maybe an eaton fuller 7 speed? I was going to try and find a stock replacement but they are hard to find and I only have $500. I need a more durable transmission so this never happens again. I plan on doing more long highway trips, hopefully cruising at 55mph. If anyone has knowledge or parts that would help me please let me know. I'm stuck here until I fix this rig. I was even considering welding and regrinding the busted gears, fixing it cuban style. Thanks for the help.
The Spicer 3053 transmission is strong enough for the deuce. As long as you take care of it, it should take care of you. That means changing the oil on a regular basis, and learning to shift properly. If you smash it into gear (can't find it, grind it) type of shifting you will be replacing it quite regularly.

JDToumanian

With a budget of only $500, a used 3053 is your best bet. They're not rare or hard to find, every multifuel powered deuce has one, and there's deuces being parted out all over the country... You just need to find a supplier near you. Also, unless you're going to move the transfer case rearward, or abandon front wheel drive capabilities altogether, you will not find many (any) transmissions that fit in the available space. If you could just drop in a 10-speed or whatever, dozens of guys here would have already done it. Adapting a different transmission will use up your $500 several times over.

Jon

pitpawten

Just saw this post, where in md are you stranded?

TNJ Murray is in DE as mentioned and almost certainly have a number of them. There are some guys up in PA too.

Let us know what you'd like to do and if there's something you need (tools/a ride etc).

There are several guys in MD, might also want to post something with the words 'stranded' and 'Maryland' in the title for better visibility.

Tankco Engineer

Well folks, thanks for the help. Due to money shortages im still stuck here at my moms house. Looks like ive got to get a job and save up more money before I can get a replacement transmission. I wonder how bad it is inside my transmission, i'll take the top cover off and have a look. I suppose i'll look for a proper spicer 3053 trans too. I never messed up a shift and I was so easy on the truck. It just randomly went to **** as I was going down the highway. I guess it couldnt take it being driven hours and hours at 45mph.

JDToumanian

Well folks, thanks for the help. Due to money shortages im still stuck here at my moms house. Looks like ive got to get a job and save up more money before I can get a replacement transmission. I wonder how bad it is inside my transmission, i'll take the top cover off and have a look. I suppose i'll look for a proper spicer 3053 trans too. I never messed up a shift and I was so easy on the truck. It just randomly went to **** as I was going down the highway. I guess it couldnt take it being driven hours and hours at 45mph.
I had one fail like that... Just cruising along at about 53 mph and I started hearing a slight ticking, quickly grew to a chatter and 5th gear crumbled. Luckily I was almost home and made it in 4th gear. I've got a lot of theories about why it happened... Prior abuse or a bearing going bad allowing a vibration that the gear didn't like are the most plausible... Two good things: These failures are not common, and replacing a deuce transmission is a piece of cake... No vehicle could possibly be easier.

Jon

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
before you buy a used one, look at it. take the top off. you want no rust, no missing teeth and no serious chipping on 1st / rev slider etc. bearings should be smooth. it is still a small gamble. probably was abused before you got it.

peashooter

before you buy a used one, look at it. take the top off. you want no rust, no missing teeth and no serious chipping on 1st / rev slider etc. bearings should be smooth. it is still a small gamble. probably was abused before you got it.
Tom if there is no rust, no missing teeth and no chipping on 1st/rev slider & smooth bearings like you mention, Can he possibly just replace the replace the main shaft with the transmission still in the truck? I'd think he could get a main shaft pretty easily from a dealer or member.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom if there is no rust, no missing teeth and no chipping on 1st/rev slider & smooth bearings like you mention, Can he possibly just replace the replace the main shaft with the transmission still in the truck? I'd think he could get a main shaft pretty easily from a dealer or member.
The problem I see with a 5th gear missing teeth is that it usually affects both gears, upper- and counter-gear. That means that the whole tranny - not just the MS- had to come out and pulled apart.
Parts are easily available and not so expensive (Tom?) but it requires a lot of labor; tools and some skills too, to have it all fixed and running again.

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
true, many ugly things could be wrong once it is apart. on the bright side the counter shaft will also come out in the truck. it sounds like the OP needs more money in any event.

Tankco Engineer

I found a possible solution and a local job since i'm here long term now and I need money. I found a company online called Waterloo Specialties, looks like they make a custom machined 5th gear set .69:1 instead of the original .75:1. The kit comes with a new shaft, some bearings and it looks like everything I would need. Best of all it increases my top speed to 55 which is perfect. Took the top cover off and everything looks ok except for the 5th gear set which has a flat spot (missing 4 teeth) on one gear and a bunch of wear on the other (because I drove 300 more miles after it broke). I can completely tear down and reassemble transmissions no problem, ive got the skills, just no transmission jack. I was thinking of rolling down the windows, putting a log through both, then using a chain hoist to lower the trans out. I also need roughly 1400 to get this OD gear kit, so im trying to sell some of my guns, plasma cutter or mig welder. Id much rather build up this trans proper than buy an equally junky replacement take out. Used parts I dont like, makes me wonder why they arent still in the truck. BTW if anyone wants to buy a Judge .410 revolver or a Mosin Nagant with a composite stock and scope, make an offer, then ill be closer to buying a gear set.

Tankco Engineer

I also wonder, whats the proper fluid for these transmissions. Ive heard HD 40 motor oil is correct from some people. Also that uncle sam decided everything (Diffs., T case, Trans.) all get 80w 90 gear lube for standardization. According to the data plate its 80w 90. 3 months ago I drained and filled everything with napa 80w 90 gear lube, was this a mistake, possible cause of failure? After I do all this, im willing to go the extra mile on the best fluid money can buy. Any thoughts about lucas additive or using high end synthetic lubes. Also, I use 15w 40 rotella every oil change, which is wrong according to the data plate but right according to everybody else, whats the deal with oils for a deuce rig?:-?

Last edited:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The overdrive kit is from the guy nearby I referred to earlier , I see you have a welder I could use some steel patched in my shop van floor might be able to help each other out

rustystud

I found a possible solution and a local job since i'm here long term now and I need money. I found a company online called Waterloo Specialties, looks like they make a custom machined 5th gear set .69:1 instead of the original .75:1. The kit comes with a new shaft, some bearings and it looks like everything I would need. Best of all it increases my top speed to 55 which is perfect. Took the top cover off and everything looks ok except for the 5th gear set which has a flat spot (missing 4 teeth) on one gear and a bunch of wear on the other (because I drove 300 more miles after it broke). I can completely tear down and reassemble transmissions no problem, ive got the skills, just no transmission jack. I was thinking of rolling down the windows, putting a log through both, then using a chain hoist to lower the trans out. I also need roughly 1400 to get this OD gear kit, so im trying to sell some of my guns, plasma cutter or mig welder. Id much rather build up this trans proper than buy an equally junky replacement take out. Used parts I dont like, makes me wonder why they arent still in the truck. BTW if anyone wants to buy a Judge .410 revolver or a Mosin Nagant with a composite stock and scope, make an offer, then ill be closer to buying a gear set.
It seems you didn't know but the owner of that website where they sell that overdrive gear is our member "m-35tom" . He just posted before you.

Tankco Engineer

The overdrive kit is from the guy nearby I referred to earlier , I see you have a welder I could use some steel patched in my shop van floor might be able to help each other out
Well then, being a welder/fabricator im willing to work hard for my money. www.Tankco.Biz is my fabrication shop back in Michigan, if I could find another customer and start building tanks, halftracks or kettenkrads again, money for rig parts wouldnt be such a problem. What kind of weld job did you have in mind, ive got a shop van too.

Last edited:

rustystud

I also wonder, whats the proper fluid for these transmissions. Ive heard HD 40 motor oil is correct from some people. Also that uncle sam decided everything (Diffs., T case, Trans.) all get 80w 90 gear lube for standardization. According to the data plate its 80w 90. 3 months ago I drained and filled everything with napa 80w 90 gear lube, was this a mistake, possible cause of failure? After I do all this, im willing to go the extra mile on the best fluid money can buy. Any thoughts about lucas additive or using high end synthetic lubes. Also, I use 15w 40 rotella every oil change, which is wrong according to the data plate but right according to everybody else, whats the deal with oils for a deuce rig?:-?
Looks like you missed the great debate. The final answer is straight motor oil is OK to use as long as it's at least 40w. The best oil to use in the transmission and transfer-case in my opinion and the opinion of the engineer at "Tremec" is "Shell Spirex" 50w synthetic gear oil . The 10w-40 Rotella is a good engine oil. I prefer to use the "synthetic" one though.

Last edited: