• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission shift panel/vacuum form protector

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will have to use something really tolerant of heat because inside the cab in the sun the temps can get way beyond what will warp and melt PLA. You would need to use something like ABS but printing with that is a little more tricky and really should be done with an enclosed printer to limit temp swings and evacuate fumes.

RRaulston

You will have to use something really tolerant of heat because inside the cab in the sun the temps can get way beyond what will warp and melt PLA. You would need to use something like ABS but printing with that is a little more tricky and really should be done with an enclosed printer to limit temp swings and evacuate fumes.
Being from AZ, I am thinking I need to slow down on the truck the amp up on building the shade cover...

coachgeo

My truck spent it's entire life in the desert of Kuwait and El-Paso and my transmission panel looks/functions perfect. The seats were absolutely destroyed as was a lot of other rubber bits but that panel looks great. It really doesn't seem to be an issue honestly.
hard keys or soft gell cover? there were two types. Hard Key kind seemed to last better... the gel ones... not so much so... Motor Homes with similar Alison keypad from that era had same issues. Lots of storys of folk using the end of writing Pens to push hard enough to get keypad to recognize a push.

I'm honestly thinking about moving it from the dash over to end of a right arm- seat arm rest. I can be Kirk and push buttons to command my green Enterprise USSM107xCmpr.

In all seriousness though.... having been stuck in mud before.... being able to rock it from R to Drive is not fun leaning over trying to reach it (not that am fond of that... but desperate measures sometimes)... then the sun issue on wear/glare, leaks like to get into it.. forgetting to put up your window (me.... Id never do that ) etc..

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it cost more but I tinted my windows. I have tinted the windows on all six of my vehicles, which has save the interiors of all.

I had all four of my side windows tinted to the legal tint on my M1083A1. For trucks In Maryland, the very front side windows has to have at least 35% light transmittal through those windows.

I did purchase the best tint I could get which (reportedly) block 98% of the UV rays and It looks good. My truck is parked in a north to south direction with the front of it pointing north so it really doesn't get any sun to speak of, but I also have a sun shade in the window anyway. This should also protect the new skins I put on all three seats.

Before I put tint on the windows I put NOS covers on the seats and I had put large towels over the seats to protect them. Over the summer the sun (UV) completely faded out the towels. That's one of the reason I tinted the windows.

I also have an old large towel I place over the instrument console which also covers the transmission and CTIS controllers.

This works good for me.

Tom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks