• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Shifting Question.

stationjj

I bought my M1009 about 2 years ago. It always got a good solid firm shifting. Hard but not a real hard shift.

Last week I developed a hard very late shifting issue. My vacuum pump seemed good. Pressure around 22. SO I replaced the Modulator, and it helped some.
After some research on SS it was determined that the Vacuum regulator valve was bad, and found one a Amazon. While I waited for shipment I by-passed the regulator valve as suggested on SS. This worked great. It did shift real early and had to manually shift into 2nd for more power.

I got the regulator valve installed, and the transmission seems much better and smoother. I don't have that that solid firm shifting anymore. Normally I wouldn't complain or question how firm the shifting is. Since I have owned my CUCV I was told from research and people I have spoke with you want a good solid firm hard shift of the transmission. I am not a transmission or auto mechanic. Just a guy trying to learn and understand his CUCV.

My question should I be worried or concerned about the smooth shifting of the transmission now? When I say smooth. I can feel it shifting its just not the solid firm shifting I had before. What I have learned tells me this may not be right? I am confused.

I appreciate any input. Thank You!

stationjj

the skull

Did you check the rubber parts of the vacuum lines?
Just asking, check your fluid level and color, did you change
the fluid/filter lately?

Last edited:

Skinny

All that good stuff!!! Be sure to check vacuum at the modulator. I don't think the Cuck ever shifts very firm in factory configurations. You could tweak it with an adjustable modulator or a shift kit but I think the way your truck was acting was due to a partial vacuum leak. It now sounds like it operates as usual.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

my 86' 009 does not shift hard at all. all shifts are smooth and precise no hard jerking or shard shifting. the only hard shifts I ever have is when I am into the throttle and that is normal.

stationjj

Thank You everyone for your input. I think I was confused and slightly paranoid.
The vacuum lines and fluid are good. I haven't replaced the fluid or filter. Again I have been told no need to do it, and also read about problem coming up after doing fluid and filter change.

Thank You,

stationjj

cpf240

I *would* change the fluid and filter... shouldn't cause any issues... What can cause issues is when one of those shops does the fluid flush. Those usually put in a lot of cleaning agents and seal conditioners, and all that can cause great heartache.

MarcusOReallyus

I *would* change the fluid and filter... shouldn't cause any issues... What can cause issues is when one of those shops does the fluid flush. Those usually put in a lot of cleaning agents and seal conditioners, and all that can cause great heartache.
Yup. The chemicals and it's often a high pressure flush, which can dislodge particles. Not good.

On the other hand, replacing your fluid, ALL of your fluid, isn't going to hurt, and it might help.

A few months ago I brought a "toasted" transmission back from the grave by replacing the fluid. The old stuff was black as used engine oil, smelled burned, and after a long drive the trans started slipping big time. I had to limp it to my destination. No other choice at the time, and yes, I knew that may have been finishing off my trans.

I replaced ALL the fluid by disconnecting the cooler line coming from the trans, and running it into a bucket. I added a short piece of rubber hose on the end just to keep things neat. Then I had one of my boys start the engine while I poured clean fluid down the filler tube. Kept doing that until I had fresh, clean fluid coming out.

I have more than 5,000 mile on that trans since then, including towing a heavy load on a couple of occasions, and no problems since.

Replace your fluid!

stationjj

Thanks for the advice. I will be replacing my fluid and filter. Now that I know to avoid the flush. Thank You!
I am unable to do proper fluid and filter replacement at my current location. I will have to have someone else do it for me.
Basically drop the pan and replace fluid and filter?

Again thanks everyone for your input. I learned something.

stationjj

Gripy

Yes dropping the pan and replacing the filter would be a good start. Just remember that you only dump so much fluid only via the pan, lots of it is still in the torque converter. A drain plug in your trans pan may be something to look into.

The TM does recommend tranny fluid changed every 30K miles.

MarcusOReallyus

Basically drop the pan and replace fluid and filter?
That only gets about a quarter of the fluid. To replace it all, re-read my post.

OR, you can drop the pan and replace the filter, then in a few hundred miles drop it again and replace the fluid, and repeat that cycle until it's looking clean and fresh. You'll probably need to do that 5 or 6 times with that method.

:beer: