• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Shifting Test Ques??

TM America has good advice, but if the governor is ok, I doubt the solenoid is the problem. TH400s are notorious for early, soft shifts, stack shifting, and hunting. A Transgo 400 shift kit will fix this. Late shifts are usually caused by low governor pressure, a stuck modulator valve, or a problem in the valve body. Stack shifting is when it goes from 1st to 3rd all at once, and hunting is when it can't seem to find the right gear, and can be caused by something as simple as a stuck fan clutch. I once had a customer bring in a Ford doing this, found his fan clutch was bad, replaced it, listened to him complain for about 5 minutes about how I did not address his problem, told him to drive it, and he came back thanking me for not ripping him off.
You might also want to check your valve behind the vacuum modulator as sometimes they like to stick. You can pull it out with one of those little telescoping magnets. I would also catch the fluid that comes out behind it and see what it looks like. If it is filled with a lot of crud (a little is OK), you probably will need a rebuild soon. This is most likely the case since you stated your fluid already smelled bad after only a few miles from the last filter change, and I think you mentioned something about how it lags sometimes getting into gear from park. I have yet to see a simple filter change save a transmission that was acting up, but I have seen a filter change hasten the demise of quite a few. The filter on TH400s should be changed every 12k miles, and the felt kind is better than the brass screen type for most circumstances. Just FYI.

wired1000

The square Rubber hose connector on the side of the TPS, look OK, but had dry rotted and had small cracks (26 years old rubber part). I just did away with it & connected the hosses directly to the TPS (very tight but possitive fit).

My truck also has this connector, which is dried up and cracked. It's shifting correctly, but I suppose that's only a matter of time... I am planning to replace all the vacuum hoses but could not source this part. I'm guessing it exists so that you can remove that plug and attach a vacuum gauge?

So... my main question is: it's OK to remove that part and connect the two hoses directly to that thing on the Injection Pump? (Just confirming this...)

Secondary question is: As long as I'm replacing all the vacuum lines, anything else easy I should check into while I'm at it? Like I said, my truck is shifting just fine right now... this is more along the lines of preventative maintenance

("If it's electrical, clean it. If it's rubber, replace it" - ralbert) [thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks