• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission stuck "in gear"

MVrookie

Gentlemen,

I have reviewed the associated threads previously posted concerning a deuce tranny stuck in gear. I suspect improper shifting technique by a younger family member resuted in the situation. Briefly, the shift lever would not move into any position. It would only "rotate" and not move forward and back in any gear. Depressing the clutch did not affect any gear selection or vehicle movement. I removed the tranny cover to inspect the shift forks. All seem straight. However, looking between two shift rods, I can see a flat steel piece with a missing "chunk". I can, with some difficulty, move the shift rods and select a "gear".

With the tranny cover removed, and clutch depressed, I started the engine. I released the clutch and the gear assembly rotated (sraying cold gear oil everywhere). The vehicle did not move.

I plan on taking the gear cover down to a local truck transmission shop and verify the need for a replacement steel lock-out (maybe) plate. Following that, I intend to follow the suggestion to force the gear cluster back into neutral by either brute force or by relieving load to the driven wheels. Through manipulation, I was able to correctly align the shift forks into their correct channels on the gear cluster, but the entire tranny cover was mis aligned relative to the tranny case by about 1". This seems resonable considering. Right?

Thanks for bearing with me as I lead you all through my problem. Can anyone out there add any clarification as what is going on and propose any more insight into a fix?

Thanks, Keith

FENG_KC130

Well, I don't know if this is the same situation. But, a while back my MUTT got stuck in 3rd. I had intentionally killed the engine and coasted into a driveway. But I left the stick in third gear, and just had the clutch depressed. After stopping, couldn't move the shifter at all. What ended up working was; with the truck idling, had my buddy push me while slowly feeding in clutch. It took a while to build up momentum. But once we got going about 25, I was able to shift out of third. After that, went home and pulled the cover. Everything looked okay inside, just changed the fluid for the
**** (the place where the Devil lives) of it.

LC

Replacing the stamped steel plate should fix your problem. We got one off of Memphis Equipment that I believe was built a little heavier.

MVrookie

LC and JWALLER,

Thanks for all your help. The offending internal piece I believe is called an Interlock Plate.
Seems its job would be to prevent engagement of two gears at the same time? I don't know... I sent a request off to memphis equipment for a replacement. Thanks again.
keith

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a thruck that was stucked in gear tow it home removed the top realined the shift forks and put it back together works great some body was trying to drive it like a race car.
AEC Retired Tony

Last edited:

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing I spelled truck wrong in last reply. but make sure the gears are alined the ones in the one I have were not I had to make sure they were in neutural be cause the first time I tryed it was off after relining the gears ever thing worked .
AEC Retired Tony

poppop

I believe you can remove the shifter stick, use a screwdriver or similar prying tool and shift the rails back to neutrel and reinstall the stick. You also can be very carefull and install the stick back in it proper location, but is earsier if in neutral. Wear in the shifting mechanism allows the shifter to slide out of the quidrant with out shifting the gear and this causes the problem. Get it back in position and shift it carefully and you will have no problems. this happens all the time with antique tractors and the princple is all the same. I used to have a 68 Chevelle SS-396 that would do the same thing when I tried to show the girls how fast I could shift. First time it happened I backed the car five miles home because it was hung in reverse, never saw that Girl again.:oops:

stumps

One more thing I spelled truck wrong in last reply. but make sure the gears are alined the ones in the one I have were not I had to make sure they were in neutural be cause the first time I tryed it was off after relining the gears ever thing worked .
AEC Retired Tony
If you make an error in a post that annoys you enough that you need to comment on it, just go back to the post, and click the "Edit" button. That will give you the same screen you used when you wrote the post in the first place. When you are satisfied with your corrections, click "Save".

Go ahead and make the fix. We'll wait.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks