• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission support crossmember for M1009...

Alexander

I’m in the midst of putting together a M1009 that I got without an engine, transmission or transfer. I now have the original TH400 and NP208 from another M1009. I also purchased an “organ donor” Blazer that came with a SB 350, 700R4 and NP241. My question is can I use the transmission support cross member from the donor vehicle on the M1009? Is it the same as the original? Also, I remember reading something about the positioning of the spaces for the crossmember. What’s the correct way to install them? Thanks for any help.
Alex

PS… If this crossmember won't work, will one from a 88 Suburban with a TH400 and NP208? I have a shot at buying one of those.

CCATLETT1984

I dont think that the crossmember for the 700r4 is the same, but i'm sure that you could make it work. A few of the guys have put 700r4's into there trucks and would be better able to answer your question. The one off of the burban should fit perfectly, since its the same frame for the most part.

Alexander

I bought the Suburban... now I have to find a way to justify it to my wife, or hide the financial transaction and vehical from her. This might be the last time I post for a while... :(

BKinzey

Wait a minute. What are you trying to put where? :?: :?:

If you want to put the 350/700r4/241 in the M1009 then yes you can use the crossmember from the Blazer.

If you want to put the 350/400/208 in then you can't use the crossmember from the Blazer.

I'm not sure if the 208 and 241 are a direct swap but I think they are.

If you don't want to use the 350/700r4/241 set-up then why not?

Alexander

BKinzey

The goal was to put the 350, TH400,NP208 into the M1009. I don't have the original M1009 crossmember... but have the one from the donor Blazer (350, 700R4, NP241 set-up). Unfortunately the 700R4 was traded off in another swap. I suppose I can go to a Chevy dealer and see if their parts books can confirm if the crossmembers were the same, but I thought I'd take the lazy way out and ask the list. There is generally a wealth of knowledge here.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every NP241 i've seen has the front output on the drivers side. They came in 92 and newer blazers/tahoes. And 88 and newer Pu's. You can use any crossmeber from any 73 though 87 pickup. Some have lower steps to change driveshaft angle. But they all use the same 4 bolts to hold them up. The corss member is also slotted on the pass side to take any 203, 205, and 208 adaptor.

Alexander

Thanks for the input/comments, guys.

I did post the same question in the coloradok5/grarage forum (thanks to cut and paste). I had a far better and seemingly more cerebral response from this group... that should be taken as a complement to you all. I will soon find out if the cross members are the same... sometime within the next two weeks or so, when I try to assemble this jigsaw puzzel.

I did notice that no one had any thoughts on how to hide the suburban purchase from my wife... maybe too tough of a problem even from this group.

84cucv1ton... I need to contact you by email. I might need to buy a crossmember or some other piece.

Thanks, Alex

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks