• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Swap for M1008

lcmd6

I have an '86 M1008 which I love. I think it's a great truck. However, I really, really wish it were a manual transmissiion. I much prefer a manual to an automatic. Plus, the three speed I think kinda sucks.

Is swapping in a manual transmission a doable thing, or am I just crazy? I was planning on finding a donor vehicle to pull the clutch peddle assembly etc. from.

What transmission is best? What else is involved in this? I'm fairly decent when it comes to automotive stuff and I have a brother who works as a mechanic who would be willing to help me out. He thinks I'm nuts, though he says if I am going to swap out anything I should lose the 6.2 and drop in a 454. I think he's nuts for that.

Thanks.

mangus580

The tranny swap is nothing at all..... Like you said, find a donor truck.

As to your brothers crazy ideas... it depends on what you want the truck for....

jwaller

454 is a pos motor in stock form. it may have a little more power but it's longevity is aweful. not to mention the MPG's will be even worse witha 3spd or whatever trans you decide to use.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swapped a SM465 and NP205 into my first CUCV. You have to change the bracket that holds the brake pedal. The one with the clutch pedal is different. The holes for the clutch rod are already marked into the floor pan. You will need to cut a new hole in the floor pan for the trans ans transfercase shifters. There are 2 rivits on top of the frame where the chutch pivit arm goes. grind them off and install 3/8 bolts to hold the pivit arm on. Keep the 6.2 that's if you can find a manual flywheel for it. Oh yea and you'll need to have the drive shafts lengthened on the back. And the front shortened.