• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission & Transfer case flush.

kaiser2help

Does anyone have a good method for flushing out the tranny and transfer case on a M-54 with the sprague gears? I know of some obvious ones but thought I might ask those who have a really good technique. Thanks.

m52a2

cleaning with kerosene not recomended

the lasy way out of rebuilding the gear box my not be worth the trouble. you will score the bearing rollers/balls if you do more than turn the input shaft with your hands when filled with 100% kerosene in the transission or transfer case. cut the kerosene with moter oil about 50/50. then if it's the transfer case diconnect the output shafts and at low rpm run in forward and reverse for say...15 seconds each/ if its the transmission being cleaned set the tranfer case to neutral and run the transmission for only a few seconds per gear. always no load ! Ive done this with tractors several times. It will be cleaner inside...the down side it it may now leak so bad at input/output shaft seals that the seals may now need to be replaced.

EZFEED

RE: cleaning with kerosene not recomended

Best way to do this is like M52a2 say and disconnect the driveshafts at the transfer case and engage it so there is no load on the gears.

Now I dont know about kerosene but I use diesel and if its really REALLY dirty I add a little dawn dishwashing soap.

m139h2otruck

We have done this on the water truck using fuel oil, ATF and a little motor oil. Filled the transfer case with the mix, drove it around the block and drained and refilled and did it again. Very black and nasty looking both times when drained, but seemed to cure the sticky sprag problem. Used new style GL-5 which is brass safe and no problems since. Did find a piece of gear tooth, but have had no problems, and assumed it was not too critical.

Scrounger

An old trick to clean out a manual transmission and or a transfer case is to drain the old fluid out, reinstall the drain plug(s) and refill the transmission or transfer case with ATF. Start the truck and allow it to idle for around 30 minutes. Don’t put any load on it, just leave it idle. ATF is a lubricant and a cleaner; it just won’t lubricate a manual transmission under load. Then drain it out. You will be amazed what will come out.