• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Trouble

I was driving my son to school this morning, when something fell out the back of my m1008 truck. I stopped and put the truck in reverse and I heard a clunk sound and my truck would not move in reverse. It shifts through all the forward gears fine just not doing anything in reverse. ( When I bought the truck about three years ago the trans was assumed to be shot, I got it home, changed the modulator valve, fluid, and put a new screen in. From then until this morning I hadnt had any trouble). My question is did the reverse band break if so how much would a fix be or do I need to hunt another transmission. By the way before I changed the fluid, screen, and modulator valve my truck wouldnt do anything in reverse and would not shift out of 2nd. Any advice or suggestions please.

dstang97

Hmm my truck barley has reverse with out reving The piss out of it and has no second. I think its time for you to have a rebuild

yeah I have already called a couple of trans shop and they are telling me that the its going to cost between 600 to 900 dollars for a rebuild. I still have 1st 2nd and drive just no reverse. I am wondering if I should go back with with a 700r4. It would be nice to run 55 mph and still hear the radio in the truck. I plan on putting a 4 inch lift with 35" tires, but now I have to fix the transmission. I was hoping the taller tires would allow me to go at least 60 without over doing the 6.2. Ill probably rebuild the original th400.

bigflew

probably a reverse input shell striped or broken. requires almost complete dissasembly might just as well install new clutches and seals as well its all prety simple.:smile:

mrcucv

id say what bigflew has said is correct i just finished up transmission class and the reluctor sun shell is used in reverse and only that so if everything else is fine that is probably broken.

4bogginchevys

you could just park where you always have a front exit while you build another transmission. By the time a forward gear goes out you could have a bullet proof 700r, th400, or even a 4l80e. When the trans started slipping last year in my other truck I went and got another. Didn't want to take out a basically working trans yet so I babied it and got another year out of it, the tranny I have now will go 1 year longer than it otherwise would have. Good luck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a 700R4 be a direct replacement in the M1008, or would the converter, drive shaft, and other components need replacing? What about in the M1009?

4bogginchevys

I think the 700r is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch longer, but cant remember for sure. I think it is a definate possibilty but requires a little more investigation. just need to find a 700/208 already installed and get a couple measurements for installed length at front/rear output from engine, and also placement of crossmember with the different adapter.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 700R4 in stock form is Light Duty at best.
It has a lower 1st gear than the TH400 and of course the overdrive.
the 700R4's are prone to heat failures, and cost 3 times what a 400 does to rebuild.
I am not sure but I believe that the 700 R4's also use a lockup convertor.
as far as a direct bolt in swap, I think it is. That is based on my experience with a trans guy offering me the less expensive option of replacing my burnt 700R4 with a TH400
(didn't do it as the R4 could be on the road that day and the 400 had to be located and brought in)

EDIT:
The 700R4 can be built to handle anything, it takes $$$$

filo

I would also research the output shaft spline count, if you're going to use your same transfer case.
the crossmember should work
driveshaft lengths might be a concern too. although 1/2" isn't an issue
Shifter linkage will be a bit different too.

There are some things to adjust/modify, but if you do your research and get one that is built up for 4x4 and/or diesel, you will be happy with the OD from a TH700.

a 4L80 is completely different:
for that swap, you will need:
relocate and/or modify crossmember
new driveshafts
transfer case adapter or different one
a computer to run the 4L80 (expensive)

Just my .02