• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Upgrade on M998

ogrove

I have an M998. 6.2L engine almost done with rebuild. Planning to add a turbo charger (purchased from BMI, 6-5liter.com). Also planning to upgrade the transmission from the original 3-speed to a 4-speed (purchased from Monster Transmissions). I am aware that I will have to purchase a transmission relay/wiring harness. The new transmission is adaptable to the engine, but the transmission housing is about 3/4" longer than the original 3-speed. Will this cause a problem during re-installation? Will I have to reposition the TC bracket and adjust front and rear drive shafts? Does anyone have experience with this upgrade?

MattNC

Looking on their website it looks like its a 4L80E. If so, you will need more than a few changes correct? I'm thinking cross member change, drive shaft changes, electronic controller, etc. There are a list on the main HMMWV forum here on steel soldiers.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you made sure they knew you were going to mate it with a HMMWV transfer case yes?
3/4" sounds a little low for the difference but I have not done this conversion.
I would also assume a factory 4 speed cross member would be helpful, but if is really only 3/4" difference the original shafts should not be a problem.
And of course you have to install a 4 speed shifter and linkage, and you will need a little more than a harness, you will need a TCM and it will require at the MINIMUM a TPS (throttle position) and engine RPM input, so you are going to have to install a TPS on your IP, it is somewhat of a PITA.
I always have to build/modify the cross members because nobody makes them for the conversions I have done (Duarmax/Allison 1000 and 6L80)
The 6L I did was 7/8" longer and the shafts fit just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks