• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission upgrade?

2Deuces wild

Hi guys, I have a question. I have a 13 speed fuller eaton roadranger rto 14613 transmission .
will it fit in my 68? Thanks Kalen.:grin:

fasttruck

Anything can be made to fit into anything else if you throw enough money at it. Problem with transmission swaps in m35s and 809 vehicles is trans it linked to tranfser case with either a rod linkage or air control so trans orients t case as to direction of vehicle travel. if you change the trans you will probably loose the fwd capability too.

Nonotagain

Hi guys, I have a question. I have a 13 speed fuller eaton roadranger rto 14613 transmission .
will it fit in my 68? Thanks Kalen.:grin:
I think you need a bellhousinig from a 5 ton as the M35 uses a small bolt pattern verses the large bolt pattern of the Fuller transmission.

Unless your transmission has overdrive for 11-13 speed, the only thing you gain is a tighter ratio between gears.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If the duece has an airshift tcase, changing the trans will not affect fwd operation.
The big question is how long is the fuller trans?

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a spare RT613 and I've looked at other Roadranger trasmissions. The main problem I've seen is any trans with a range split is going to be quite a bit longer than the stock trans. To make room for the longer trans you're going to have to move the t-case back. When you do that you start running into driveline angle problems between the t-case and foward rear axle. If you go off road much the rear axles move a bunch and you run into some pretty sharp driveline angles even in stock form. I think if you move the t-case back very much off road capablity is going to suffer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, A RTO 14613 is a BIG trans.

R- Roadranger
T- twin countershaft
O- overdrive
14- max tourqe 1,400 ft. lbs.
6- application number
13- number of speeds

Chevytruck

getting a faster transmission might not always be a good idea, because then you would be over driving your brakes, and putting a whole Lotta more wear and tear on the drive train.
Remember these were designed for a convoy speed of 45mph.

just my 2 cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how much overdrive the trans in question has but I bet you wouldn't gain much speed if any. What you would gain is closer gears which would be better for pulling a load.

The stock trans has a heck of a jump between 3rd and 4th. From what I understand the 3053 came about by modifing a 3052 instead of building a whole new trans from scratch. They fit the overdrive gear into the 4th gear spot so basicly the 3053 is missing a gear. That's the reason for the big jump between 3rd and 4th and the funky shift patern.

tm america

whats the shift pattern on a 3052. if what m16ty is saying is correct i would be able to pull heavier loads with a 3052 im my deuce but it would knock my top speed down to probably about 63-65 with the 15.5s:roll:maybe its time for me to start looking for a gasser trans:-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steps are alot better spaced on a 3052 but no OD. The shift pattern on a 3052 is a standard "H" pattern.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks