• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission worthless?

dc9137

Well...I've had a pretty discouraging weekend. As part of my rebuild, I pulled the engine and transmission today. I've never done it before so I was pleased with myself for getting it done without breaking anything, but I was not happy with what I found.

First, I'm pretty sure they just threw in an old engine and transmission at some point because it was just barely attached. None of the exhaust was bolted on, most of the fittings were disconnected and all of the bolts were pretty loose. I was planning on rebuilding it anyway, so I wasn't totally upset by it.

The transmission on the other hand...One of the mounts on the transmission is completely broken. See attached pics. I'm afraid this means the transmission is useless to me without a new case. Can someone with more experience weigh in for me?

If the engine is as bad as I think and I need a new transmission, my project truck may get turned into a parts truck and I'll be on the lookout for something in better condition.

Attachments

jeeplvr247

I would not think that would make a big difference for just one. There also may be a way to fix that if you know someone who is skilled in metal fab.

richingalveston

not a problem

you still have some part of the mount left. just put an oversized washer under the bolt when you put it back togather.

I have an exhaust manifold bolt on my cummins 6bt in my motorhome that basicly did the same thing, I put a little bit bigger washer under it and it has been ok for about 10k miles. and thats on an exaust manifold that gets real hot and also has an exhuaust brake and it has held up.

Terracoma

The transmission currently mounted to my M1008 has an ear broken off in a similar manner.

As was mentioned above, I'd just use a suitable washer on that bolt when you reinstall it... Replace the transmission later.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have it welded up if you want the best fix.

Quick and almost as good fix would be the oversized washer (ground to fit).

scottladdy

My M1008A1 came with only 3 transmission mounting bolts. Two were loose. No idea how long it was run in this fashion, and I put almost 700 miles on it this way before discovering it.

So, chances are you will be just fine with a bolt/washer combination.

Having said that, you asked for opinions. If it was a truck I wanted to keep in the long run, I'd have the flange welded while the tranny was out of the truck.

Barrman

Just to make you feel even better than the advice already given. Chevy eliminated that bolt behind the #8 cylinder with the 2000 model year engine. Everything since doesn't have that mount even there anymore. You are fine.