• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission wouldn't shift into 3rd

stranger75

I had an interesting experience the other day. I started up my M1009 and left the driveway. I drove about a quarter of a mile before coming to the first stoplight, giving me enough time and distance to get up to the 35mph posted speed limit. Normally, unless a school zone is in effect, this short little drive allows my truck to get into 3rd gear, which usually happens around 25 (I could be mistaken... I should take note of speed when shift occurs). This time, the truck easily shifted into 2nd at the normal time, but would not go into 3rd.

I found it odd, and decided to drive a little more to see what would happen. I stopped completely, and drove again, getting up to speed when the 3rd gear shift would normally occur, same thing. I tried putting into Park and starting over. Same thing. I could not get the truck out of 2nd gear.

While going through this little experiment, trying to see what was happening, I saw a sign for a transmission shop. I've seen it before, but have not had the need to go in. This time I did. I walked in and told the shop owner what had just happened. I informed him that it is a 4 wheel drive truck with 3 speed TH400 etc... He said the higher gear might be burned out. I'm not entirely sure what the means though. He brainstormed a little bit with me about other possible culprits including vacuum lines and fluid. I told him my fluid is a healthy red color and at correct level. He said that if I had a vacuum issue, I would have problems shifting out of first gear, as well as second, which was not happening to my truck.

The guy suggested I try simulating a manual shift by driving in 1 on the column shifter, and then shifting to 2, then D, shifting when I thought it sounded right. I tried this, and it worked fine! after going through the gears manually, I did not have a problem with the tranny shifting automatically anymore.

What could have caused the transmission to have trouble shifting out of second? Why would my manual shift cause anything to change? I am concerned that it will happen again.

My understanding of transmissions is limited. I know what they do of course, but I do not have experience with their internal workings. Any input is appreciated.

Modulator valve.I personally would change the modulator valve out its the cheapest fix.Mine cost me $12 dollars at advance autoparts.they had it on the shelf.Part #md-48[thumbzup]

Then if thats not it,Vaccum lines and or Vaccum pump.Good luck

b4thundr

drive down the road at 55 and put it in park for a sec or two then quick back to drive. this will rattle the govener on the park paw. sounds crazy but it works. NO BS.

stranger75

Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot once I finish up this home surgery I've been working on. I've been reading how to do it on an internet forum. So far so good!

Onestar

yes, the modulator goes into the transmission I believe on the passanger side right behind the front wheel. The governor goes towards the back of the transmission i think on the passneger side covered bya plate with 4 bolts. It is very easy to check, undo the bolts and pop the plate off you might need to pry a bit if its been taken off before they probably used RTV as a gasket again. You will need to do the same if you take it off, I haven't found any gaskets yet. Once you remove the plate you can grab the end of the governor and slide it out, jiggle it a little as you go it will come out easier. If your truck is fairly flat you shouldn't have to much transmission fluid come out.

IBEZKUM

Hey, Stranger,
A Funny thing happen to me today, After reading your post, I was drivin my truck. Shifted fine. Stopped at a gas station got some cash, pulled out into traffic no third gear, ( This is creepy ) Indicator said it was in Drive, So I put the shifter between Neutral and Drive bamm, Third Gear. One time I had another issue with the ignition switch, If wasn't just right The water Temp. Dummy light would come on while you were driving. So Like a Dummy, I put a new Thermostat in for No Reason. Good luck,, start Out with the simple stuff!!