• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission

CGarbee

It's a New Process 88950, unless somebody has swapped out the original one for a M37B1 transmission in which case you would have a NP420.

To confirm before you start ordering parts:
The early mode (NP88950)l has a short shift lever, fill plug is on the driver's side, and there are two shift forks that come down from the cover and shift lever (reverse) that comes up from the main case.
The later model (NP420) has the longer shift lever, fill plug is on teh passenger side, and all of the shift forks come down from the cover.

One has left hand threads on the input bearing retainer nut and the other has right hand threads, but I never can remember which is which, so I just look real hard before I tear one apart... :)

AB Linn has complete rebuild kits as well as NOS shift towers for both versions. The rest of the "usual suspects" (Sid Beck at ACE Surplus, George at Vermont, John at Midwest Military, Fred at Adirondack) can set you up as well...

Good luck.

Mark_Ellis

Mark,
I won't go against anything Cabell says but I think most people would refer to them as the Old NP420 and the Newer NP420. At least that was what I ran into when I rebuilt mine several years ago. His descriptions are right on.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks