• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporation needs

KAT MAN

I am looking at getting back into the transportation business I specialize in vehicle & equipment transport but can transport pretty much anything. I wanted to see what kind of demand their is for your guys military vehicles to be transported in the western states. I am fully licensed & insured.

thanks,
Andy

markmontana

Where are you located? And what areas would you deliver to?

There's always business out there- for the right price. Some of us work with a budget that doesn't seem to fit in with current transportation costs.

For example- say an average 2.5 ton truck costs me $1500- there's just no way I'm going to pay $2500 to have it hauled 1600 miles.

But I think you might find some good business out here. There's not many good MV oriented truckers west of the Mississippi.

Good luck to you.

KAT MAN

I am located in Northern CA.

I am willing to travel to Montana down to Texas & everything West of that line.

thanks,
Andy

Last edited:

markmontana

My friend (with more money that me -- in fact all my friends have more money than me) just had a truck delivered from Ft Leonard Wood MO to Bear Lake ID and his U-ship bid was $1950.00. I just give you this as an idea of a real deal that just happened. Consider this 'consumer research' for your new business:grin:

Now-- my truck at Ft Leonard Wood just cleared- and I will fly out and drive home.

Fuel $550
(free airfare- but you could throw in $250 for one way)
Food $100
Motels $150
Pleasure of driving along the vast mid-west- priceless

Total $:arrow: Less than 1k. Unless of course I break down and end up towing it anyway!

lonegunman

I recovered my deuce from Georgia all the way to Washington state on my own. I lined up two different flakes who do business off of this board and both disappeared. I was perfectly willing to spend a reasonable amount of money, I just required the truck be picked up on a specific week. Apparently, no one could find the time over 5-7 business days to load a truck in front of me. Hauling coast to coast may have been a problem, you never know. I even had another truck lined up, so the driver could have hauled two trucks( a full 53' trailer).

I drove home myself in five days, it was a long slow drive. BUT, it cost far less than having it hauled. Airfare, fuel, hotels, meals and paid days of work ended up about 1/2 of the cost of a haul and unlike most promises from brokers, drivers and/or flake companies my truck ended up at my house.

My observation from spending a year here is that most guys are doing this on a shoe-string budget. Most of them don't have cash for more than a 500 mile haul and anything less they are willing to drive themselves if it runs.

I know you can find some work off here and through the MVPA or another truck site. I think the best bet would be to pitch yourself here and list the areas you are willing to haul and maybe throw out some estimates for cost and time. Nobody expects you to go broke or not earn a wage on top of expenses, but the shoe-string budget is a fact of life these days.

Besides there is occasionally a truck at French Camp, Ca that would need a ride to eastern Washington. Having a hauler in northern Cali might just be handy someday.:D

KAT MAN

That's the same case with me unfortunately lol.... thanks Mark for the info some real world figures definetely help...

I would be interested to know who transported the truck for your friend because a lot of the "transporters" on Uship are transporting goods illegally (they don't have commercial insurance, authority, class A license, DOT,etc...) so their overhead is a lot less then the guys running a legal trucking operation. You have to be careful on who you choose to transport your goods when on uship...

If it is a legal transporter that is a pretty good price that your friend got.

lonegunman

There is a guy here looking to haul some armor from Salt Lake to someplace east, this could be your first bad experience,,,,,,hahaha. He is even in this very forum.

Welcome to here by the way. Mil truck guys always need something heavy hauled from somewhere. If you are heading someplace and have room for a partial load of really heavy parts you should post here. You never know when you can fill some space and make a little extra to keep the wolves away.

KAT MAN

Great post lonegunman....

I don't understand why people are so flaky it isn't that hard to arrange a time to meet someone to load or unload.
Unfortunately their are a lot of idiots & unprofessional people working in the trucking industry.

Their are a lot of flakes in this industry...
The brokers are pretty bad they don't relay the proper information to the transporters
one result of this is the transporter arrives & does not have the proper equipment to transport the item. Another result is two transporters get booked to transport the same item one guy gets pretty screwed I have seen this time & time again & their are a lot of other things the brokers do to screw everything up.

I hate working with brokers. The best way to work with someone is to work with the person who has the item directly if you have any question for him/her or vice versa you can contact them directly no middle man to screw up communications or screw the transporter or customer on the price which is their bread & butter aua

I am pretty close to french camp let me know when you need a truck transported if I have my new rig by then. I am sure we can work a price out :p

reb87

I need a M916 6x6 truck hauled from Government LIquidation in indianapolis IN to York Nebraska. Tractor weighs 26K Euc should clear this week. Thanks, Ross/Nebraska

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone traveling west across the I-10 corridor thru TX and NM? Just need a tailgate hauled to southern NM. from the
San Antonio area.

jschaaf

I got a duece and half sitting in smithville ok would like to have hualed to crowell texas. Truck calualated miles are 373. But I mapped it out to 340 miles. I tried uship but I cant afford over 2 dollars a mile. I drive over the road and would love to get that for freight. I could get it myself but wont be able to get to it for a little while.

jaxsof

I just got a qote on uship for $4500 for my truck in WI to MD. I think they think we do the same drugs that they do. To be fair, got 2 for around $2k also. Nice range though, dont you think?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks