• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporting an M1009

INcountryboy

Another thing. UHaul may not 'let' you haul the M1009 on the trailer. Go to their website and type in all your vehicle info to find out. If it denies you then theres always the 'Oh ya its an S10 Blazer' when they ask.

rpellicci21

I towed my '09 back from pa to li about 400 miles and I rented the trailer from Uhaul. I didn't have a problem getting the trailer...then again I told them I was towing a '69 Camaro lol. As for getting the truck on the trailer GL made it a lot easier to manage they helped pull it on the trailer with a fork lift but had to load it backwards because the front was a little wider then the back. Even then the front tires were muffin topped over the sides. Towed it back with a 01 suburban, it was a long ride but took it slow and made it eventually.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
me

HI to bad im not closer,I have a 3 axle trailer hyd tilt with a 8,000 lb winch have had an 18' box (off of a moving trk) sitting on the fenders,used it to haul my 84 4 door deuley home too.

ranchhopper

Medium towbar is the way to go they pin right onto the front clevis mounts putting no weight on the tow vehicle therefore no light steering on the tow vehicle. I used to pull home 1009s this way the last 1028 I bought was towed home this way the tow vehicle never knew it was back there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towbars are great unless the tires on the toad suck. With known tires I take the towbar every time. With unknown tires I take the "C" note trailer. ("C" note trailer, a car trailer I bought 10 years ago for $100. Been all across this great nation.)

admiralking

Hi guys,

I'm planning on using a tow bar to tow home my new purchase. Do you have to remove both drive shafts from an M1009 or can you just put the transfer case into neutral?

1.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys,

I'm planning on using a tow bar to tow home my new purchase. Do you have to remove both drive shafts from an M1009 or can you just put the transfer case into neutral?
Depends on how far you need to tow it. Neutral works for short distances.

Pulling the rear driveshaft for long distance. With the front hubs unlocked the front shaft doesn't need to be removed.

admiralking

IMG_1389.jpgMy father-in-law and I went to French Camp, CA to pick up my new M1009 CUCV. We removed the drive shaft, pumped up the tires to 40psi, and towed it home with a "Blue Ox" tow bar. It pulled like a dream behind my Expedition.

IMG_9441.jpgI found an "equipment record folder" inside the truck and learned that it was a range control vehicle from Fort Hunter Liggett, CA. I sne t them a message asking if they could give me a run-down on what it was used for on the post.

206210_254569287890254_290670_n.jpg