• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tree removal the easy way

coolnick73

We had some strong straight line winds this morning after a thunder storm rolled through and it took down to box elder trees. Dragging the trees off is much easier than dealing with them in place.

I accidentally backed into the stump (didn't there used to be an "embarrassed" smiley face?)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, it gets easier. I used to drag the trees down then cut them. After that had to move them to the street for pickup. Now once they are down, I pick them up with the M108 and carry them into the street and cut them there. Avoids one whole step. (Street is a loose term, I live on a dirt road.

Capt.Marion

Nice. Don't worry, one of my mudflaps looks somewhat similar. And it's been almost a year since the incident.

When you're good, you use the winch, and take the stump and all with you in one swipe, then just drag it by the winch cable wherever it needs to go.

Alredneck

Banned
I use my ex-seabee loader for most knock down and tote away tree duty. The deuce can handle a fair size one but the loader makes it so easy.

Kenny, more like a sand road. ( I should know got stuck in it )[thumbzup]

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thats one of the first things i used my deuce for too, stump pullin':driver:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE8MmFzHB3s[/media]

goldneagle

He cheated! All the roots were already cut! I'd like to see someone pull a tree out of the ground without cutting the roots first.

coolnick73

I tried to pull the stump out but all that I got were 10 muddy tire prints where I scalped the grass. I was scared of getting a run at it and tearing my truck up.

I think if I would have had some weight in the back I might have done better.

Akicita

I have pulled a lot of trees since I bought my Deuce. My neigbor had observed me doing that and came over to my place last wekend to ask me to pop one out for him. He had left about 4 or 5 feet of the trump standing up. I had plenty of space to wrap a chain around the tree stump (towards the upper end) a few times, attach the winch hook and give it a little tug. The entire root ball came out in one piece. Then I got the tractor with the front end loader and lifted the tree complete with root ball up and carried it off. My neighbor said, he wants some toys, too. : - )

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks