• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trickle Charger for Batteries - Bobbed 5 ton M939

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,

I have what will probably seem like a dumb question for most but here goes:

I'm thinking about investing in (2) 12V solar powered trickle chargers, they are 12V 5 Amps to just use as a battery tender as I don't drive the truck everyday or sometimes not even once a week, something like this....

Right now I have (2) 12V batteries - would I need a charger for each battery or since they are in parallel would I only need one?

I would envision this panel sitting in the front window (inside the cab) and when I go for a ride I could unhook it from the battery and stow it in the battery box.

The solar is a much more viable option because where I park the truck at on our property is quite a ways from any power.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes you will need 2.

The military generally put 2 solargizers on the trucks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
From a few vendors here
I've never heard of a "solargizer" - what is that?

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a few vendors here

Awesome thanks, other than keeping it all OG military is there any reason to use the military version vs the civilian version. I've already replaced the OG alternator with a civilian 24V 70 AC Delco alternator with a modified bracket to mount it because the milspec alternators are basically garbage.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a few vendors here

Awesome thanks, other than keeping it all OG military is there any reason to use the military version vs the civilian version. I've already replaced the OG alternator with a civilian 24V 70 AC Delco alternator with a modified bracket to mount it because the milspec alternators are basically garbage.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, would you mount it where it would be permanently out, what about when vehicle is running would it need to be disconnected?

Sorry to ask so many questions - this is a new thing for me.

thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They mount them on the cab cowl between the windshield. Some hard top trucks they are on the rear or top of them.

You only need one of these but the military ran 2. They do not have to be disconnected. They have one way diodes in them.

If you are having issues with batteries staying up then install a disconnect

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They mount them on the cab cowl between the windshield. Some hard top trucks they are on the rear or top of them.

You only need one of these but the military ran 2. They do not have to be disconnected. They have one way diodes in them.

If you are having issues with batteries staying up then install a disconnect
How would one know which battery to hook it to?

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's 24v. It goes to negative on one battery positive on the other.

If you install a disconnect you do that between the ground and battery.
I've been reading some that you have can use a 12V trickle charger/maintainer but you have to have one for each battery - which honestly seems a little strange to me since both 12v batteries are connect to each other (hence 24V) but like i mentioned earlier I really dont know for 100%

162tcat

I've been reading some that you have can use a 12V trickle charger/maintainer but you have to have one for each battery - which honestly seems a little strange to me since both 12v batteries are connect to each other (hence 24V) but like i mentioned earlier I really dont know for 100%
You need 2 because it is 2 separate 12v batteries in series making 24v, not 12v. If you got a 24 V charger you would only need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's 24v. It goes to negative on one battery positive on the other.

If you install a disconnect you do that between the ground and battery.
Not trying to be cheap but would something like this work?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks