• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trimming advice / pattern for 35"??

slickm1008

Max tire size for m1008 w/no lift

Hi guys!

long time no see!

Without getting into into it too deeply I'm just now getting my truck back on the road.

ive got a set of H2 wheels and am looking at a set of 315-70r-17 tires!

i don't want to lift the truck and won't be off-roading much at all.

the rig is all stock suspension and I'm putting a banks turbo kit on it. It's already got a nv4500 but neither of these mods should affect the tires.

in short, what do I need to do to run these 315's I'm looking at?

thanks a ton for the input!

✌

slickm1008

That tire size seems comparable to a 35x12.5x15.
Yes, that's about the same size.

its got 33" on now and no rub or clearance issues at all.

im not sure what they are specifically, but not much offset on the h2 wheels at-all

ive seen a couple posts where the 3/4 ton suburbans can run a 35" with MINIMAL rubbing and no cutting?

would it mainly be the tub needing the trim, or the fenders?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=542032

that last 1 has 'em and no lift????

slickm1008

I've seen a bunch oh threads about 35's with lifts.

i am try'n to see it without

...ideally with h2 wheels, with 315-70-17 dulers.... (That's what I'm going to be running), but just any 35" and stock suspension experience is helpful

Ive seen those & looked at a couple, thank you for the suggestion tho!

lol, my research is say'n I've got 50/50 chances it'll work

cucvrus

Make sure you drive it on road only no rough terrain were you will need to flex the suspension to its maximum flex. I had LT 25585R16 Goodyear Wrangler At's on my M1028 stock and it would wear the front drag link boot and keep the end polished. I had a friend stuck on an icy dirt road one night and went back to help him. I rode the ditch to stay in some scratch and the suspension flexed on the rear hard enough to make a tire mark on the right inner rear wheel house of the box. With the stock stock suspension you will have a hard time with any other tires then LT235/85R16 or smaller if you do any off road driving. The front fenders on the CUCV's are always a problem area when you go bigger tires with no lift.007.jpg008.jpg043.jpgOff subject a bit but I had an M1009 that had 33 10.50 15 tires on the stock wheels and they made marks on the front fenders and rear inner fenders on a full tuck and flex. These pictured are the stock LT 10.50/15 on an M1009. If you have access to a tuck and flex ramp it will help see if you are going to have any clearance issues. Or just stay on the road or mild off road. Cut / damaged tires along with body damage are no fun.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compare width and offset of the H2 rims and the stock rims. If the H2/rims sport more backspacing, you will have fitment issues. If you can squeeze them in, it will take a wheel real close to stock size.

slickm1008

Fyi

ive got a 67 bronco and a ktm sx200 for the off road, the truck will pretty much be ON-Road or a short 2 track to get to the single tracks.

the chief reason for the 35" is for fuel econ and snow

prairie

I run 315/70R17 Treadwright retreads on BF Goodrich carcasses on my M1008. . They actually measure 33.5" at 35 psi, specs say 34.7" at 50 psi. These tires might work without any lift, but would probably be very close when flexed out.
Have a 1" ORD body lift with new body mounts and ORD 1" Zero Rates used to move the front axle 1" forward for a cheap and easy 2" lift. The current tires 33.5" tires clear easily, and I think 36" may work even when flexed out.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/oneinchlift.htm
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/bodymounts.htm

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm
https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/198/GUARD DOG-315-70R17-D

slickm1008

Hi all!

quick question in running a set of 315x70x17 wheels with no lift and stock suspension.

specifically, I've got an 1986 m1008 and am putting those tires on it. The wheels are H2 rims... I've heard a rumor they are 4 3/4 -5" back spacing? And, like I said, its stock suspension w/o any known mods to it? I have 33" tires on aftermarket 16" wheels now.

my question is; what is the best way to trim the fenders so they fit AND look good?

i presume I'd want to take a pie cut from the flat and bend the lip back together without the missing part and weld them back up? In my mind, this would retain most the body lines, lip, and be able to still run the wheel arch trim (if able to slightly bend it too).

Or, do you just hack off the lip edge of the fender & leave a knife edge/eliminate the fender's lip all together?

or is it best to use the lil fender cut offs that lmc sells for lil rust hole repair and fab them back in after cutting away the interference?

so ya, I need to do some major repainting any-how & I have 2 $.25 sized holes I'm cutting out of the fenders as is... so, what's the BEST way to modify the fenders to accommodate 35" tires?

better yet, has anybody got a pattern they saved for the process???

thank you in advance!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all!

quick question in running a set of 315x70x17 wheels with no lift and stock suspension.

specifically, I've got an 1986 m1008 and am putting those tires on it. The wheels are H2 rims... I've heard a rumor they are 4 3/4 -5" back spacing? And, like I said, its stock suspension w/o any known mods to it? I have 33" tires on aftermarket 16" wheels now.

my question is; what is the best way to trim the fenders so they fit AND look good?

i presume I'd want to take a pie cut from the flat and bend the lip back together without the missing part and weld them back up? In my mind, this would retain most the body lines, lip, and be able to still run the wheel arch trim (if able to slightly bend it too).

Or, do you just hack off the lip edge of the fender & leave a knife edge/eliminate the fender's lip all together?

or is it best to use the lil fender cut offs that lmc sells for lil rust hole repair and fab them back in after cutting away the interference?

so ya, I need to do some major repainting any-how & I have 2 $.25 sized holes I'm cutting out of the fenders as is... so, what's the BEST way to modify the fenders to accommodate 35" tires?

better yet, has anybody got a pattern they saved for the process???

thank you in advance!!
I'm not sure you can trim them and have them look good. That's likely subjective though!

BTW I'm moving this to the correct CUCV Modding forum and merging with the other thread of the same topic.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks