• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trimming advice / pattern for 35"??

slickm1008

Pavement Queen. Only thing it has going for it is the full top removable. I will be doing that conversion someday Maybe. Then again maybe NOT.
Guess im not sure what you mean? None of our rigs are all that great off road?

you can put x2 into a blazer and have it be 1/2 as trailable as an early bronco or a jeep????

my take on things is that the 35" and no lift gets you better handeling vs same truck with a lift? My truck already has 33" and it gets stuck in a spot my bronco can park in / navigate in 2wd?!?!

soooooo, if the goal is off roading... I'm starting with the wrong foundation, and so would anybody use'n our rigs as an off-road platform

cucvrus

Oh that is so not true. I have wheeled these M1009 Blazers for 30 years and the M1028A1 I had they go just about anywhere within reason with out any problems. CUCV are great in the stock form. i am not sure adding a few inches to the tires is going to do that much more to improve anything. Not sure what effect that would have. Bigger tires 2 inches more axle clearance??? Adding portals is the only way you are going to improve the axles from dragging.

slickm1008

Hahaha...

well the suspense will be in over soon... I'm getting the truck back this week and ima find out what fits and what won't

im guessing that the'll fit, but rub on turns. The 33" that are on it have more than an inch either side, just not sure when turning???

im still thinking my chances are 50/50

richingalveston

in stock form the only problem with the blazer and wheeling is the steering. The only way to fix the steering is do a 4 inch lift for cross over steering. With a 4 inch lift you can fit just about any 37 or less tire with mild trimming.

The only downside to a full size truck over a jeep or old style bronco is width. They can go places we cannot because they are not as wide. I have a 66.5 bronco all stock just like it came of the showroom floor. My stock cucv would run circles around it off road. I had a stock 2003 jeep wrangler stock with 33's and my stock cucv with 33's could do more as long as the trail was wide enough.

you cannot fit 35's on stock cucv without major trimming and even then you will rub badly on the inner fenders and probably the frame rails. Search my post and you will find my front end trim job. I think it will look better than any when finished. Hope to finish it this winter.

33's will fit but rub everywhere when serious wheeling.

rim backspacing and tire width combination and size of tire will all play into if it fits.

I have 39X11's on 8 inch rim with 4 inch backspace. truck has 5 inch lift and major front fender rework. I have no rubbing on the front. just a little on the back that needs a minor bend to fix. My tires being narrow will stuff into my fenders at the top and not rub on the outside edge of the fender.

I would put my rig up against most on any trail where it will fit. My rig is not stock.

jam

Just thought you might want to see the h2 rims with bfg's on an m1008 without a lift. I had to turn the wheel straight just to get them on the truck... pretty sure there is no way I can run them as is... going to definitely require trimming or a lift. Would prefer to keep it low myself as I don't particularly want to raise the center of gravity... hopefully I'll have her running solidly soon and I can get back to working on the lift.
thumb_IMG_2631_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_2632_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_2633_1024.jpg

slickm1008

Nice!
Looks fine in back!
...and I wouldn't say you've got TONS of to trim?

Maybe level the front and get some cab corners from LMC, trim out what's needed & weld in the corners to keep the finished look!

**are those 35" tires??

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

You can use a zero rate block from ORD or diy4x. It just bolts to the spring pack using the center pin. You'd just have to keep an eye on drive shaft length

jam

Definitely think the back will be fine stock. I'm curious about the zero rate, moving the front axle forward an inch seems like it would help alot... and they appear to give 1" of lift too. I'm curious if coupling those with the heavy duty shackles which seem to add another 1/2" http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm would be sufficient to avoid the 4" lift option. Maybe with a wee bit of trimming instead of chopping into the inner fender....

Chaski

Definitely think the back will be fine stock. I'm curious about the zero rate, moving the front axle forward an inch seems like it would help alot... and they appear to give 1" of lift too. I'm curious if coupling those with the heavy duty shackles which seem to add another 1/2" http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm would be sufficient to avoid the 4" lift option. Maybe with a wee bit of trimming instead of chopping into the inner fender....
As long as you move your axle foward and are not shy with the cutoff wheel you can make them fit with little to no lift. One other thing, with zero rates you may need to trim a little off the threaded portion of your drag link ball joints. When you move the axle foward you have to shorten the drag link to match. Some of the ball joints (MOOG) will need a little trim so that they don't bottom out when adjusting the drag link turnbuckle.

Richard86

As long as you take the stock wheels and narrow 35s they will fit with very minor trimming.
I didn't want to hack up the fenders too much as I like the stock look of the square fender Chevy and I
wanted it to look as if it came from the factory that way. So i just trimmed the lower edge and folded
the sheet metal to gain about an inch of clearance.

As long as the sway bar stays connected I do not have any clearance issues.

Richard
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_4536.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks