• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg, PA, 15 Sep 2006

CGarbee

RE: Maybe a group purchase will work out??

Please ask about the kitchen trailers... I'd love to have you broker the deal if you know him well enough to get a good one for a good price... For that matter, I have familly that might be interested in having one of two for thier business (we all do event catering...), so ask what kind of deal I could get on two or three of them... Perhaps if a few of you got the tool trailers, and I got kitchen trailers, we could get a good group deal...
Thanks,

citizensoldier

Let me talk to some buds

I am going to talk with some of my M head pals and see if they are interested in some of the stuff. I do know our museum could use that maintanance body. I would like two of the pioneer trailers but would not pass up a deal on all of them if it was good. That M109 van body looks good for a storage barn and extra for my truck. I will get back to you about other stuff. Let me know if you talk to him about such a deal and what he has to say. I have a trucker friend that travels through there all the time so shipping should not be a problem. Will they load the stuff with a fork truck?
Whats the chance of you going back and taking more photos? Or I coud maybe put together a trip.. I have been watching some stuff at the DRMO out there. :lol:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

So what's going on up there? Is he just cleaning out and scrapping stuff that has sat for years since prices are up? Is there any tracked stuff there? I thought there used to be a M5 high speed tractor. Maybe I am thinking of somewhere else?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Why is all the good stuff on the east coast? Stupid me, aua I sold my buffalo, now I want it again. How...never mind, the shipping would kill me.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

They are nice trailers. I had one that I towed behind my M1009. The plan was to restock it with all the original tools. Never got around to it and traded it along with my deuce for the Mog. I would like to have another one some day. $750 is a killer price too. I saw some nice rust free ones going for $1500-2000 a few years back.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

By the way CGarbee, it would be mighty nice of you to bring a fully stocked kitchen trailer to Aberdeen next year so we can feed everyone at the official Steel Soldiers Midway:D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yeah, guys. I can help put together a deal, I can call Shawn up on Monday and try to see what he can do. If anyone wants anything out of the yard, shelters, trucks, tool trailers, kitchen trailers, M416 trailers, etc., PM ME by Sunday and I'll see what we can get going by Monday COB. I would be willing to go up to Colemans on Friday 10/6 to take care of meeting anyone wanting to haul stuff out of there...

Sorry, no tracked vehicles, but he does have lots of parts for same. Track pads are all over the yard, as are sections of track. He has piles of parts in the warehouses and trailers for all sorts of tracked vehicles. HOWEVER, there are some tracked vehicles down the road at Roman's Surplus near Letterkenny Army Depot - he used to be a big surplus dealer, now his son has turned it into a paintball place. He has several halftracks, several M8 tractors, the remains of a Long Tom carraige, and a rare M578 recovery track in the lower field. I have the contact info at home if anyone wants it, LMK.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hmmm, so are any of the tractors at Roman's in decent shape or have they been rusting away in the weeds for the last 10 years?

I've seen a LOT of VA folks on here lately Maddawg. We might have to come up with a VA Chapter of SS!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Hey Maddawg perfect timing with this thread, as I was planning on PMing you about trying to find out the name of the yard you suggested up there. I am interested in a set of M35 front fenders, but they have to be rust free. I am either going to fix my fenders or replace them, so I am looking into my options. I might also be interested in winch parts if he has some on his lot. I am going to try to make a side trip to stop by Colemens, and Saturn toward the end of October when I am up in Mechanicsburg.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

maddawg308, what's the deal on the M578? Is it for sale? Is it complete?

Bruce

Olney, MD
------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M25A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

CGarbee

Re: RE: Maybe a group purchase will work out??

steelsoldiers said:
By the way CGarbee, it would be mighty nice of you to bring a fully stocked kitchen trailer to Aberdeen next year so we can feed everyone at the official Steel Soldiers Midway:D
Why do you think that I want one??? I already have a few M1959 field ranges and other assorted goodies that are supposed to go into a MKT, I just need the rest of the unit... :)

Then, there are those fundraisers at work and the concerts, weddings, and other events....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Maybe a group purchase will work out??

BKubu said:
maddawg308, what's the deal on the M578? Is it for sale? Is it complete?
The M578 at Roman's has been demilled, by cutting a patch of the turret out. Also, it has been sitting in a wet field for at least 20 years. Would take a really dedicated person to rebuild it, but it's a shame that its sitting in a paintball field unwanted for so long. Needs a savior.
[/quote]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Maybe a group purchase will work out??

The tractors are so-so condition at Romans. Not too many parts left unrusted on them. However, an enterprising person could buy them all and make one or two good ones out of them.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Maybe a group purchase will work out??

Just posting to let everyone know I haven't had luck reaching Mr. Coleman this week, although I have left messages and asked a couple others up there to have him call me back. He may be out of the office this week altogether. Will keep trying.

Just wanted to let everyone know at once that I am continuing my efforts to help get a group buy together.

citizensoldier

Ok .. sounds good .. over..

It sounds like you are trying your best. Just keep us posted on what he says. Did you get my PM? If it works out we would be coming with a semi and drop deck trailer... Could use some more pictures of stuff if you can swing it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Ok .. sounds good .. over..

Good news everyone! I finally got Shawn Coleman on the line and got some cool prices for everyone who wanted stuff in the yard! Will be Emailing everyone who was interested in stuff.

Here's a couple interesting prices on things:

Pioneer tool kit trailers, $500 each no title
kitchen trailers, $1000 ea no title
fixer upper M35s, $2500 ea no title
M109 van body, $350
bakery trailer, $350
M416 trailers, $500 ea, you must take ALL
M43 ambulance, junk but have good running gear, fenders, engine parts, $750 no title

westfolk

RE: Ok .. sounds good .. over..

Getting the stuff without titles is no problem. For PA residents it is a little red tap, but you can get one from Harrisburg. Otherwise there is an outfit that can do it pretty much no matter what state you are in. www.broadwaytitle.com

ONTOS66

Did anyone ever make the followup trip to Coleman's? I've shopped their catalog for years. I'm thinking of a road trip with the M1009 on Friday (I actually have a day off!!). Looks like I"m about 2 hours and some change from there - then figure on a side trip to Cabela's on the way back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks