• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg, PA. Nov. 23, 2013

Merc1973

I will be going to Coleman's on November 23, 2013 (8-12) to checkout/drive and maybe purchase a 1970 M35A2 W/OW for sale. I have yet to drive one or start one so hopefully it's worth the trip to buy my first Deuce... Anyone want to go?

Last edited:

Merc1973

Pictures

Well I did not get many pictures of the parts and other surplus equipment. My goal was to check out the m35a2 for sale and make a deal.

Truck inventory. I never realized how much a 5 ton Dwarfs a 2.5 ton in size...
inventory.jpg

.mil forklift
forklift.jpg

The truck I checked over and test drove was listed for $3500 as a '70 W/O, White LD-465-1C, air shift, springer seat, Cab heater, flame heater, 16,000 miles, troop seats, new tires up front and the rest with 50% tread.

Upon pre-startup inspection, there were very few leaks, full coolant. It had been updated with what appears to be D-turbo (which the owner is unaware). It had a full tank of fuel. There seemed to be much more rust then advertized. I was told there was not rust though the metal, just surface rust (see photos). After a hydrolock test, the truck started up in 38 degree weather on the second try without the flame heater. It idled rough for about 2 minutes and then smoothed out nicely. BTW, this was my fist time sitting in a deuce or even starting one and i never realized how many things rattle...:shock: The air pressure (and buzzer) and oil pressure built up nicely and held. The temperature gauge was not functioning, so that will have to be further diagnosed. I drove it around the main building a few times only going up to 3rd gear. The brakes were very firm. What a blast! :p

8_12 001.jpg8_12 004.jpg
engine tag.jpgturbo.jpg
engine.jpg11_15 003.jpg

Last edited:

Merc1973

Rust photos
bed rust.jpgdoor sill rust.jpgradiator.jpgrust hole fender.jpg

We are still negotiating a price. What are your thoughts on the rust? Im not afraid to grind down the rust and weld some patches like the motorpool used to. Mechanically, the truck seems solid.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Did they tell you the temp gauge didn't work or you just saying it didn't work cause it didn't move? Mine takes forever to move but once it does there is no issues.

The truck seems to be pretty decent for what you are getting. Remember prices are only going up on these trucks.

Merc1973

They didnt mention anything about the temp gauge. It didnt move at all since starting and driving. It hasnt been run for a long while. Their mechanic installed newer batteries, looked it over and topped off fluids a coupe days before i came.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the gauge is a problem, just replace with a new one. It shouldn't be a problem. Mine works great but in this cold weather, it has been sticking a little bit. If it continues to be a problem, I will replace it.

F18hornetM

Hurry up and buy it before he sells it. There are others out there in worse shape going for more money. My neighbor just paid $6000 for one and yours looks better. Just my 2 cents worth.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI - Shawn Coleman is in a hurry to clean out his remaining deuces - as trucks OR AS SCRAP. So trust me, he's flexible, and if you need parts I'm sure one of the other ones in back can provide a replacement if you need one.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
3500 for one nowadays especially in the northeast and in that condition!!!! Are you nuts, buy it now.

Who cares about the temp gauge. Mine takes forever and a lifetime to move.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy that truck before it disappears. Temp gauge problems are easy to fix. Everything on that truck is easy to fix. I paid 3200 last year for a '73 that the brake were out. That truck will last forever if you give it a new home.
Have fun
JC

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on others comments, you should call first thing when they open and buy it. That's a super deal on a truck with little issues and easy to repair problems.

Merc1973

A needle scaler will take all that rust off, then you can prime with Rustoleum then paint over it.
I just watched some videos of a needle scaler in action... Holy-moly that tool rocks. I will let you guys know how much I pay for this thing tomorrow. Don't worry I will buy it. :)

Last edited:

Merc1973

Update:

The Deuce is mine!!! We struck a deal at $3150 with 3 good used tires on wheels. Now i need to recover it. Should i wait the 30 days to get the PA title or take possession of it sooner to a more secure location?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Secure ASAP. I am a true believer of "Murphy's Law" , if you leave the truck you open yourself up to all kinds of "oh Shxt, what happened"?
Congrats on you new truck. -plus you can work on it sooner.
JC

Merc1973

I would like to drive it "legal" but do you think there will be any issues driving without plates from PA to MD on mostly country roads? Plus, i can't wait to work on it. My wife and father inlaw don't understand the green iron obsession...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Move it as soon as it's insured. All you need for insurance is the VIN number. (maybe some pictures)

Hainebd

Wish mine looked that good. Get on the rust first thing but it will be worst then u see since they rust from inside out. No worries cutoff tool and a welder with patients it will be good as new. I love mine. I waited 38 years to get one. A friend sold me his for $1,500. It ran great. Neglect left several minor issues for me to resolve such as 3 flats filled with sand, broken wire in rear harness, bad headlight switch connection, bad turn signal switch, light sockets corroded through, loss pinion bearing, leaking wheel seal, windshield cracked and frames rusted through, cracked steering wheel, 2 gallons low of antifreeze, frozen pintle hitch, no winch, front wheel falling off, torn boots, leaking pinion seal, o ya lots of rust. All corrected except rust. Not to bad for one year of ownership. I put in a parade and car show. Took her camping several times. Every where I go I get thumbs up, look a rounds. Used winch to straighten body damage to two cars, moved 5 yards of dirt (no dump), picked up kids at school, hauled brush to recycle center, taken off-road several times(workout better than gym), hauled 38 ft 5th wheel camper, hauled M105s home, unload expandable shelter from trailer, loaded M105 body on to a trailer, hauled campfire wood to house (we have a fire out front on weekends, cookouts and drinks) and many trips to stores.
I have a few more things to repair with no rush. I can only say enjoy your newly acquired truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks