• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troop Seats

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just wondering if anyone knows why some troop seats have the 2 seat boards cut short at the tailgate end, and some don't?

One of those things that someone asked me and I've never heard or saw an official reason behind it!

Seat.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think back the days when OUTHOUSES were common. That's the "HOLE", giving each troop carrier TWO restrooms the "back of the bus" for passenger comfort and convenience.

Thusly we define the "real soldiers" from the "soilers".

Carry on.

Woodsplinter

Think back the days when OUTHOUSES were common. That's the "HOLE", giving each troop carrier TWO restrooms the "back of the bus" for passenger comfort and convenience.

Carry on.
Ahh- I'm not going along with that one. lol! Gotta be something else- right?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so much for the comedic hijacking of this thread....

Another question for you Troop Seat Experts:

When were the fiberglass seat slats introduced?
What truck(s) first featured them?

When we acquired our Deuce as a cab and chassis, and then snagged the A3 bed the VFD had removed from their new/replacement A3, it had the fiberglass slatted seats. As compared to wooden slats there is NO comparison!

Thanks,
John

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Carry on.
Actually there was a 'one hole outhouse' although you could fit more but safety, safety, safety. Tailgate up, use a troop strap you have absolute confidence in and there you have it. Truck going down the highway, buttocks placed slightly over the tailgate, the newbs starring in absolute disbelief, the old timers 1/2 harassing you and the other 1/2 trying to get some sleep. Plop, plop, whiz, whiz oh what a relief it is--oops the toilet paper flew out, anyone have some spare? Do not attempt on a bumpy road or you may wind up bouncing on something that could put you in nutwrenching pain.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, WOW, that's a tough one? In 1998 on an M923 I had wooden seats, and some trucks still in active duty still have wooden seats. I first remember Fiberglass in the late 90's I think!

A wild guess would be they came out on the A3's or the M923A2's? But that is a SWAG!

Rick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you like the fiberglass better, or the wood better?
I vote for FIBERGLASS.

Unlike wood, it NEVER warps, splits, cracks or splinters. It holds paint more permanently, too.

I have had one bolt head pull through a slat and some resultant fiber fraying and exposure around the enlarged hole. But a pair of oversize washers and some touch-up paint was all it too to repair it in less than 5 minutes.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just wondering if anyone knows why some troop seats have the 2 seat boards cut short at the tailgate end, and some don't?

One of those things that someone asked me and I've never heard or saw an official reason behind it!

View attachment 552899
My wooden slat troop seats have that spacing both front and rear on both sides. I've always assumed it was so the troop seats can be lowered from the outside of the truck. You know, you reach through the opening and lift the retaining latch both front and back and that allows the seats to be lowered.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wooden slat troop seats have that spacing both front and rear on both sides. I've always assumed it was so the troop seats can be lowered from the outside of the truck. You know, you reach through the opening and lift the retaining latch both front and back and that allows the seats to be lowered.
HUH.... Sounds like a MULTI-PURPOSE-HOLE...... but I digress.