• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble getting access to broken starter bolt

bkwudzhom

I just went through the same deal with my 1008. I used a center punch to mark center. I used a Firestorm cordless drill and a 1/8 inch Hitachi bit from lowes. The bolt kept catching and finally bottomed out in the hole allowing me to finish drilling a decent hole. I then used an extractor and was able to remove the broken bolt by hand. I also bought new bolts from GM and the bracket for less than $10. Cheap insurance I think.
Good luck,
Jody

Chief_919

Left handed drill bits are the best trick ever for these. i ahve done hundreds on HMMWV's and 95% come right out with the bit.

2deuce

Pencil eraser? I can see where that would work. I definately would not put a drill bit, punch or anything else up there that could bugger up the threads accidently, unless the threads are already messed up and its stuck. I think I used an ice pick on mine and not a screwdriver as I said in my earlier post, but something small that will catch on the edge of the broken surface and it will spin out easily. Only takes a minute, you don't need to remove your driveline and make a job out of it.

tm america

if the bolt broke off with some sticking out you can weld a nut to it. let it cool it will come right out i would do that first if posible . if not take the driveshaft out and drill it and use an easy out. using a rev dirrection drill bit sometimes takes them right out to.

when i broke mine the second time, i got some left handed drill bits from harbor freight,
they help to loosen the bolt before you use the easy out.
+1
They give you more length then the eazy out. You shouldn't have any problem with the drill bit pulling the nut.

Dodgeman1941

Definately don't forget the bracket. I picked up replacement bolts at NAPA, they had them on the rack, you just need to bring your bolt in to compare. Broke 2 sets before we found out we there was a bracket that we were missing.

MILLMAN37

Going thru the same thing with my M1028 right now. the bolt for the bracket was broke when I bought the truck. Managed to get a hole in the bolt last night. No luck with the E-z out though. taking home a larger drill and a tap tonight just in case. Wish me luck! I'll need it!!

feldmarshal

you need to drill bolt all the way through and careful not to drill into the block. use PB Blaster on bolt to soak from backside, then easyout. if this doesn't work you'll have to heat the block with acetaline torch then easyout. Propane torch will not heat it enough. Don't break the easyout or you'll have to bust it out in pieces, can't drill. Last option is blowing out bolt with the acy. torch, only very experanced personal should do this . Also if you totally mess this up.just use a helicoil on it . good luck

feldmarshal

by the way I just did a 66 mustang head with 6 broken exhaust bolts, 2 came out drilling and soaking , 3 with heat {cherry red} working on last one

cucvrus

It has 2 holes. If it is a direct drive starter the bracket has a round M8 hole. And an oval 1/4" hole. The M8 hole goes on the block at the same place the front part of the tin starter heat shield is mounted/bolted to the block. That hole in the block is a metric threaded hole M8 1.25. Do not use a standard bolt. The heat shield goes on first then the round M8 hole of the support bracket goes on. Allow the bracket to pivot a bit and slip the other oval end if the bracket over the support stud on the upper thru bot. That is 14/20 thread. I would put a 1/4" flat washer and a 1/4" nylock nut on. Tighten it and then tighten the block support bolt. I have 1/4" flanged nylock nuts so I skip the flat washer. Good Luck. Report back. And if you have any more questions ask. Hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks