• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble in Iowa with titles

acvolt145

Jan 1 1968 is when the fmvss sticker is a problem, I don't think that a short vin should be a problem they just have to send an inspector out and they can reassign a number or accept the old one in some cases, with the way I believe the law is going to go they are all going to have to have some one come and look at them to verify the condition of the truck. This new ruling should do away with the safety sticker problem because it allows them go to off of the federal regs that the truck was built for, which if you ask me are pretty much the same as in part with my m109a4. I could not get the inspector to give me anything that would be a problem besides that it didn't have some stupid little sticker on it, and yeah might have to be adding a license plate light but that's about it.

NEIOWA

Basically it will be a “Military Vehicle Certification of Compliance” form filled out by the applicant certifying the vehicle is in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 571 Federal Safety Standards and Iowa code 321 safety equipment. It should be a fairly easy process for most .

Captain Mike Athey
Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement
Investigations
6310 SE Convenience Blvd.
Ankeny, IA. 50021
michael.athey@dot.iowa.gov
Office # : 515.237.3217
Fax # : 515.237.3387

So looks to me like perhaps little is solved. You have to CERTIFY that your DOD truck meets CURRENT Fed standards??? CERTIFY, as in sign your life away.

Anyone read that piling of steaming BS?
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Or perhaps (more likely) we state that only pertinant part is:

Subpart A - General

§571.7 Applicability.
(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, each standard set forth in subpart B of this part applies according to its terms to all motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment the manufacture of which is completed on or after the effective date of the standard.

(b) [Reserved]

(c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Iowa 321 perhaps is an issue as well.

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/omve/iac450.pdf

450.2(6)
Glazing.
a. Windshields.

Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a laminated safety glass windshield
that complies with and bears the approval marking of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z 26.1 Standard.

On M925 (2009 rebuild) drivers windshield has a mark. No mark on the passenger windshield or either side window.

Tanner

What is original year model of your M925? I recall that the M-939 Series of trucks came out in '83-'84? I'd look at the motor vehicle laws for 5-ton civilian trucks of that era to see what the DOT requirements were regarding safety glass windshields, etc...

Last edited:

Tanner

Funny... I can import a vehicle that is 25+ years old, and not have to meet DOT/EPA/FMVSS standards, but you can't title/register a truck built in the US for mil-use, then sold to a civilian.

That's screwed up - luck!

'Tanner'

NEIOWA

What is original year model of your M925? I recall that the M-939 Series of trucks came out in '83-'84? I'd look at the motor vehicle laws for 5-ton civilian trucks of that era to see what the DOT requirements were regarding safety glass windshields, etc...
Will be interesting to see what Iowa DOT comes up. They decided need to have an emplyee inspect the truck. ONLY data plates are for 2009 Red River Reman. Obvious to anyone with a brain, it is not 3 years old or made by Red River. That and lack of a 17digit VIN is "confusing" IDOT.

D6c

On M925 (2009 rebuild) drivers windshield has a mark. No mark on the passenger windshield or either side window.

Checked my M931...has mark on driver's side windshield (laminated glass) and on both side windows (safety glass)...rear window also had some kind of mark, but no mark on passenger windshield. Suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to change out one side of the windshield.

BTW....think you mispelled "IDOT".... you left out the "I" in the middle.

Last edited:

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to this thread. Sounds like a few folks are really doing some quality legwork getting IDOT's head back out in the sunlight. :cookoo: When I bought my deuce, I just assumed I wouldn't be able to license it, which was fine since I just planned to use it around the farm anyway. However it would be nice to use it for other activities off-farm. Does anyone know if I will be able to title it? All I have is a bill of sale. Thanks.

jedawson1

do any of you wonder why folks go nuts? I'm starting to side with the guy who armored his bulldozer and drove through the business of every person who ever done him wrong (forturnatley no one was killed). I wouldn't let this stuff get me fired up if the DMV folks had a "can do" attitude instead of a "Hide behind a rule I don't fully understand" attitude. If they acted like they were there to help us, it sure would make a difference.

The problem is they are made to think inside a box and our trucks don't fit their box.

Square Peg in a round hole!!:cookoo: what happend to pulling out your pocket knife and whittling the hole so the square peg will fit?? oh wait that is out of the box thinking.

Thank You to those of you who have the patients to work with our representatives to fix these problems.

undysworld

may be registered and issued a certificate of title if the owner provides satisfactory evidence to the department that the vehicle is substantially in compliance with federal motor vehicle safety standards.
Well, since the FEDERAL law exempts ALL VEHICLES OLDER THAN 25 YEARS FROM ALL FMVSS REQUIREMENTS, it would appear that IowaDOT cannot refuse registration for milvehs over that age based on any FMVSS or labeling requirement, nor can they hold the owner responsible for proving FMVSS compliance.

Also remember that the label does not certify that the vehicle currently meets FMVSS. It couldn't. It certified that the vehicle/s met FMVSS at the time of manufacture. But subsequently, the vehicle may well have fallen out of compliance by something as minor as a light bulb burning out.

But in any case, FMVSS requirements are not applicable to any Motor Vehicle older than 25 years old.

This whole thing smacks of the same bs which WisDOT tried unsuccessfully to push in Wisconsin. It simply does not recognize current federal regulations.

I wish you well in your efforts.

NEIOWA

Received a IDOT form (Military Certificate of Compliance Form 411187) to self certify that vehicle meets Ia safety regs. Only issue I see is license plate light which will be easy and obvoius addition. Next stet ?

May have issue of year of mfg as only data plate is rebuild at Red River in 2009. So that may become the mfg and build year. ???

Will try to post form

Attachments

blhar15

I have a HMMWV that we were trying to title last year and got the run around. It is currently on a Wisconsin title, but DOT told me that it does not have a 17 digit VIN and there was the issue of the FMVSS certification. I wonder if we should try going through this again with the law change?

Thanks

battlebuggy

We found that the Federal FMVSS requirements not applying to a military vehicle built for the government ONLY apply to the use of the vehicle(humvee) by the government. The states still have the right to require that the vehicle (any vehicle) conform to the FMVSS/NHTSA standards for its class of vehicle as of the date of manufacture. Any humvee requires at LEAST a padded dashboard, safety glass, collapsible steering column, side impact protection doors, dual circuit service brakes, and shoulder belts to comply with the FMVSS/NHTSA requirements for its date of manufacture. You are going to see this spread throughout the states as the hook they hang their hat on. This will not apply as long as the humvee remains in government hands. The FMVSS sticker if present certifies the vehicle automatically, but the vehicle can also be submitted for inspection in our state to prove the items are present.

Last edited:

Jeff Nelson

I wouldn't let this stuff get me fired up if the DMV folks had a "can do" attitude instead of a "Hide behind a rule I don't fully understand" attitude. If they acted like they were there to help us, it sure would make a difference.

The problem is they are made to think inside a box and our trucks don't fit their box.

Square Peg in a round hole!!:cookoo: what happend to pulling out your pocket knife and whittling the hole so the square peg will fit?? oh wait that is out of the box thinking.
My wife and I were talking about this just the other day. Our MVD people are sometimes quite useless because they can be. However, here we have private MVD providers that are actually running a business and providing a service. They actually DO try to solve problems versus the the state MVD people that won't even attempt to look like they want to help. Accountability and service vs Government mindset... Obviously, I've run into exceptions at the MVD, but now, since I have an alternative, I don't even go there any longer.

MRFD715

Just a little update on this subject. Our Fire Department just acquired a 1999 M35A3 and the DOT is still refusing to title MV's, citing that they don't meet vehicle safety standards for the year they were manufactured. Our State Forestry office (where we got the deuce from) just issued us a transfer of ownership. It doesn't sound like this issue will be fixed any time soon.

acvolt145

Just a little update on this subject. Our Fire Department just acquired a 1999 M35A3 and the DOT is still refusing to title MV's, citing that they don't meet vehicle safety standards for the year they were manufactured. Our State Forestry office (where we got the deuce from) just issued us a transfer of ownership. It doesn't sound like this issue will be fixed any time soon.
Problem has been solved just takes a few steps to get through the hoops needed, call me 641-750-6757 Ill help ya out

NEIOWA

We finally received title. A PITA. Titled as a 1997 RedRiver M925. If you need plates you have to advise the state goons when you send the title for transfer to you FD. Apparently such is not obvious.

saddamsnightmare

June 14th, 2014.

Before this thread gets locked, please permit me to point out the following letter from the United States Attorney General as regards the grandfathering of vehicles built for the U.S. Military services in regards to Federal Highway Safety regulations, and DO note this applies to vehicles before the HMMWV series which are not so covered: The letter was from John Day, US Attorney General's Office and David Doyle had posted it on here. The interpretation was that the exemption covered the vehicles as build to meet military specifications and passed that exemption down to later owners. I am going to have to dig like mad, if I find it I will post it on here. The states cannot specifically exceed the Federal regulations where the Federal Government exempts itself from such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks