• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble Starting FV432

kochevnik

08 EA 23 was delivered to me a couple of years ago - when it came, there was a note inside
to 'bang on the fuel pump' to get it going. I had to move right when I received it so it has
sat in storage for 2 + years. The fuel pump has died for good. I found a substitute 24V pump
on ebay and worked on installing it today. I've never been successful starting the beast,
but I have not had much time working on it either. I was pretty sure it was not getting enough
fuel - so first thing I checked was the solenoid - many thanks for this vid :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzl5lbTZo8w

Of course it was stuck. I opened it all up and got the front part working, but am not 100
percent sure the back half is working as it should. I get plenty fuel at the big fuel filter,
and going into the top of the FIP (fuel injection pump).

Hoewever, when I pull some of the lines off the top of the FIP going to the injectors - I can see
fuel squirting out the fittings where it is supposed to go into the lines going to the injectors, but
it looks like what you see coming off a leaking sink - shooting up a few inches and just a few drops
at a time.

And the back half of the fuel stop solenoid where there is a shaft pushing into the FIP that
is controlled by the front half of the fuel stop solenoid looks like it is moving about 1/2 to 3/4
of an inch, but I'm not sure that is enough ?

I'm basically stuck. I can't get this thing started - getting fuel, but no way to be sure it is enough ?

jdmcm

If the filters are clean and new you most likely have a restriction in the lines from the tank. Our FV432 would get fuel at the engine but just a trickle, turned out the bottom of the tanks were full of muck and crud and the two pipes that meet under the floor were almost totally blocked off at the fuel drain/crossover...try removing the feed line and running it from a fresh tank or jerry can see if this helps, FV432 tanks are large and after a few years are usually full of dirt and sediment. We eventually steam cleaned ours out, but now we just use a small race car fuel cell because the new non sulphur diesel will actually grow algae if left too long.

kochevnik

Thanks - I replaced the orig fuel pump with a small 24v one I got off ebay - so no collector tank right now with any gunk in it.
I've loosened the hose that goes into the top of the FIP (fuel injector pump) and it looks like there is a lot of fuel flowing - but it is
old stuff - I tried some new fuel, but will try again later with more.

One of the things I see now is that when I loosen one of the injector lines off the top of the FIP it does not look like there
is a lot of fuel being pumped into those lines from the FIP - I'm going to make a vid and post it here - basically I get what
looks like a few drops being squirted a few inches into the air from those injector outlets - at 25 psi I would expect it to
be shooting all over the place ?

And thanks for the low sulphur diesel algae info - did not know about that.

Carlo

My fuel pump is on the floor by the rear door. The photo you have is the fuel solenoid cut off, no? You know this has special oil and must be checked frequently? If this is blocked it won't start. Have you ever pushed the red pedal on the floor? That's the emergency fuel stop and it's a manual reset.

kochevnik

Thanks Carlo - actually the governor, on the other end of the FIP is what needs the fluid, and that is one of the
things that I have checked so far and it is ok.

I see you are selling your 432 on mil-web, wish I could have bought that one LOL

Have you ever loosened the injector lines on the top of the FIP ? I'm still trying to see
if mine is putting out enough pressure.

wideload

Are you checking the fuel outlet to the injectors with the throttle fully depressed ? This will make a difference to the amount of fuel delivery, remember though it will only be a very small amount on each stroke, just enough fuel to "crack" the injector needle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks