• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble starting M1009

Cigarjoe

Ok guys I need help. My M1009 has been running great up until this Wednesday when leaving work. I went to start it and wait light never went out, so I turned it over and no start. I turned the key off and back on and same thing. I did this several times over the next few minutes and the light finely went out and it started right up. Thursday morning and night no problem. Friday morning and afternoon it did it again. I don't even know where or what to look for. Please help its a daily driver right now and the wife is daily driving the M1008 and these are our only vehicles for now. Thank you in advance for any help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved this to the CUCV forum.

Do you have a voltmemter and know how to use it?

You need to check the GP relay. The relay may be sticking. Check the voltage at all the terminals with the key off and the key on.

You may also want to remove the GP controller card and clean the contacts on the card and the houseing. Electrical Contact Cleaner work great.

cpf240

I agree with Warthog. Assuming the GP controller card is working correctly, it sense the voltage going to the glow plugs. If the GP relay is not passing enough voltage through to the glow plugs, then the card will probably leave it energized longer, thus the Wait light staying on a long time. These relays can get a carbon build-up on their contacts, thus inhibiting their ability to work properly.

There is a great GP system troubleshooting guide in the TMs!

Cigarjoe

Thank guys. Where do I find this GP relay? I'm not very well versed in diesel motors.

cpf240 I feel your pain being in the people Republics of Kalifornia. I live in West Covina, Hacienda Heights and Diamond Bar before I was able to defect.

Last edited:

cpf240

It is located on the engine side of the firewall, from the brake master cylinder, look towards the passenger side. You should see the 12v buss, sort of diamond-shaped and has a few wires bolted to it. Next to that should be the GP relay.

I *highly* suggest you read through the CUCV FAQ sticky at the top of the CUCV forum. It has part numbers and pictures.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, If you call me tomorrow, I can talk you through a few quick diagnostic tests. Have a digital multimeter and a 12" long piece of wire(12ga) ready.

If you don't have my number, PM me yours and a time to call.