• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble with the 3k inverter

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my generator is an odd one. I can start it and run it without disconnecting the plug when it shows the short fault. I also remember some one posting way back when that if you open the little door on the top of the inverter that allows access to 120 vs 220 it can be started when the fault light is on.
Yea I found that trap door thing but did not post about it. What mine did with the door open was it started and ran for awhile then it would burp one time black smoke then run like nothing happened. Then same thing burp and run fine as long as it was running door open. I did not like it doing that so I stopped doing the trap door thing. Mine still in garage to give it a chance to dry out I hope.

FloridaAKM

Again checking out the generator after the tropical storm this past week. It cranked easily, but quit producing power after 10 seconds, like it was wet again. The unit was run another 10 minutes & shut down to dry out the inverter.

A couple of hours later, I opened the voltage change over door & recranked the engine, with a no power result. It sat for another hour or so with the top cover closed & then was recranked. Still no power, so I closed the voltage change door & the rear fan came on & the power did also.

Why this happened, is a mystery, but just reporting what I see. You guys figure from there.

Now to get a MEP-002 running that I got from Government Liquidation a few years ago. :)

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you can get power with the voltage change door open. Kurt would know for sure. Opening it just allows the motor to run without power so you can dry out the inverter.
Correct. It will NOT produce power unless the voltage selection door on the Inverter is fully closed.
There is a microswitch inside the inverter cover to sense if that little door is closed.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I learn so much from the experts here, thanks for the update. I was not aware of the micro switch, but seeing that the cooling fan came on when the door was closed is a sure sign of a switch. Years ago, I would have gotten mad for buying a faulty piece of military equipment . Now I know that I am just not up to speed on the knowledge it takes to run this equipment.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learn so much from the experts here, thanks for the update. I was not aware of the micro switch, but seeing that the cooling fan came on when the door was closed is a sure sign of a switch.

Going to have to tell Santa your not reading the TM's and you know what that means. Sticks and coal. I saw the micro switch in the trouble shooting section of the TM that is inside in the unit. The wiring diagram left me dumbfounded.

dav5

I learn so much from the experts here, thanks for the update. I was not aware of the micro switch, but seeing that the cooling fan came on when the door was closed is a sure sign of a switch. Years ago, I would have gotten mad for buying a faulty piece of military. Now I know that I am just not up to speed on the knowledge it takes to run this equipment.
You can still get mad about your 831A and you wouldn't be alone. I can't believe such a cantankerous generator was ever deployed.

FloridaAKM

You said Jesus would get mad, not Santa. Santa doesn't exist, so he doesn't matter. I did read a great part of the TM's & the 14 page Steel Soldiers info about the M831A, but my CRS got the best of me.

Sticks & coal, bring them on for the winter heating in the wood/coal fired stove, I can accept that rather than burning electricity anyday or night, Win win situation........Whats next???????

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"If I ever meet Jesus and he asked me if I have been keeping up on reading my Bible I will have to tell the truth. I have been trying there Jesus but Doghead wants me to get through the TM's first then from then on keep the Bible handy and well read". This was my quote and never said Jesus would get mad.
As for Santa there are two things to believe in. "Something and yourself".

Last edited:

wonk1970

Yea I found that trap door thing but did not post about it. What mine did with the door open was it started and ran for awhile then it would burp one time black smoke then run like nothing happened. Then same thing burp and run fine as long as it was running door open. I did not like it doing that so I stopped doing the trap door thing. Mine still in garage to give it a chance to dry out I hope.
Hi new to the site .I have a MEP-831A, it has been working grate for 4 years now, and just started to shut off when i turn on the a/c in my camper .The over load / short light comes on also ,but it puts out power if i leave the A/C off Could you please help by putting me in touch with someone to help

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The AC startup draw is more than the generator can handle with the other loads that are already on. Startup amperage/wattage is usually double what the 'running' amount is. For example, if you have a 3 KW generator, and the A/C draws 10 amps running, but 20 amps to start, and you are already using 15 amps for other things - lights, computer, TV, stereo, fridge, chargers, etc. The total amps you need to start the A/C with the others going is 35 amps, or about 4KW, since the generator cannot supply enough power, it becomes overloaded, then shuts off to save itself from burning up.

Guyfang

Staff member
I will ask one question. If you answer "Yes" then please start your own thread, so as to get better help for your problem. It helps folks be able to keep track of who, when, what and where.

So. Question. Have you been using this gen set the whole, or part of the time to power your camper and it worked right the whole time?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks