• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubleshooting M101A2 Brakes

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Followed all directions in TM on bleeding brake system. When I go to pump the break away lever it is loose, can feel the spring move around for the first 2 notches on leaf spring. I am able to get good pressure on the break away lever except for the begining, also no air all brake fluild. Any thoughts on what needs to be replaced. The Lunette has good travel and back pressure from the brake fluid as well. I have another trailer that the brakes work great on and I don't have that freeplay in the beginig of the break away lever.?????????? Is this about the shock or the spring hardware????

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bled the brakes on my M116A2 trailer, which is identical with the M101A2 surge brakes. I know the TM says to pump the lever to bleed the brakes. I found that holding the spring up from the lever and moving the lunette in and out worked much better. I had to replace brake lines, so mine was completely dry when I started bleeding. Are you sure your lunette is not pushed back and this may be causing the slack in the break-away lever? Try pulling the lunette forward, maybe even prying it forward.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing this is the trailer that you transported upsidedown?

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No this trailer was on the ground, also have the same problem with one other. The other 2- work fine. I must be missing something simple (I always do). I did move the lunette all the way forward while bleeding. Thanks for the info.
Bob.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This might be bad advise but, when I bled mine, I put a pipe wrench on the swing arms that connect the master cyl. That got them bled quick and easy.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be bad advise but, when I bled mine, I put a pipe wrench on the swing arms that connect the master cyl. That got them bled quick and easy.
That's probably not bad advice. That would most likely be a lot easier than moving the lunette back and forth by hand like I did. One note: Moving the lunette got much easier after several cycles and I did lubricate prior.