• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck dieing, now won't start

98hd

I recently added a pyro and started turning up the fuel. The last time I turned it up and tested it, it was just starting to blow a little smoke, but the temps were still pretty low.

So I turned it up a little more, but didn't get a chance to drive it after.

Fast forward to today. I start it up, and had to give it a little peddle to get it to fire.

After that we drove about 10 miles to go eat. Coming into town I pushed in the clutch and let off the fuel and noticed it got real quiet. Then when I let the clutch out the engine fired back up. Same thing at the next stop.

Went to leave and had to keep the idle up to make it run. Made it back home, truck died once again, let clutch out and fine. Then when I parked it died again. Didn't pull up far enough, so I tried to start it. Even w/ a full pedal it wouldn't fire.

What is wrong? I"m going to try adjusting the low idle, and maybe turn the fuel down some more, but I'm not sure. I was supposed to take a 250mile trip in this truck tomorrow.

HELP!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bother adjusting anything yet. Open the bleeder on the top of the secondary filters and make sure you have fuel coming out. If not, check for clogged filters/intake pump running.

I think I had to adjust the low idle setting after turning up the fuel, but wasn't much and didn't keep the truck from running.

Only thing I can think of you might have messed up is the fuel rod when you were turning the fuel up. If the rod is turned, and not the nuts, there is a chance of breaking the tip off inside the pump.

Check stop rod inside the cover on the inj. pump. Make sure it's moving freely.

Maybe pull the center plug on the inj. pump head and make sure it's going up and down when cranking the engine.

That's all I can think of, maybe someone else has had the same problem.

Dennis

98hd

A little more info. I went out . Checked the fuel level. Low, but still enough in there.

Tried turning the idle up. No go. Turned the fuel pump on and opened each of the drains on all fuel filters. Noticed some nasty rusty colored fuel come out. The fuel mostly cleared up before I shut the drains. Still wouldn't start.

Needed to move if forward. Put it in first and pushed the starter. As I got near where I wanted to park it I pushed in the throttle. It started! Then died. Did the same and it started again, manipulated the throttle to get it to run and slowly let off and it stayed idling. I then adjusted the idle (it was low 550, from when I bought it) to 750. Shut it off, and started it up again. All seems fine.

I'm thinking I should drain the tank, fill it w/ fresh fuel, change the filters and hope it is all well. But I think I'm going to put off the long trip this weekend.

Would love some input.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98hd said:
........ Noticed some nasty rusty colored fuel come out. The fuel mostly cleared up before I shut the drains. Still wouldn't start.......
Sure reads like a fuel problem to me. Open the drain on the fuel tank and and dump a few gallons for inspection, replace all three fuel filters and check your air intake filter as part of the routine.
Like Stretch stated, check for air in the lines, if you get air bubbles out the filter bleeder again and again, you probably have an air leak in a fuel line, which will stall the engine and/or make it hard to start.

You don't need to "step on the gas" to start, the diesel engine relies on the IP governor to provide the right amount of fuel to start, only exception may be if it's very cold....

98hd

cranetruck said:
98hd said:
........ Noticed some nasty rusty colored fuel come out. The fuel mostly cleared up before I shut the drains. Still wouldn't start.......
Sure reads like a fuel problem to me. Open the drain on the fuel tank and and dump a few gallons for inspection, replace all three fuel filters and check your air intake filter as part of the routine.
Like Stretch stated, check for air in the lines, if you get air bubbles out the filter bleeder again and again, you probably have an air leak in a fuel line, which will stall the engine and/or make it hard to start.

You don't need to "step on the gas" to start, the diesel engine relies on the IP governor to provide the right amount of fuel to start, only exception may be if it's very cold....
Thanks for everyone's input. When I get back from my trip I will drain tank, change filters and bleed system.

I am aware I don't need to give it throttle to start, but that is the only way I could get it to fire and stay running. I believe it was because of the low idle it had, and not wanting to run at a low idle speed. Hence if you push the peddle some it would fire and come to a higher idle and stay running.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 98hd,
I have the exact same issue with my deuce. Down to the letter. Your not going to like what it was though...

It's my hydraulic head on my IP pump, worn out pretty bad. That's the round tuna can sized disc on top of the IP pump with 6 injector lines coming out of it. not to hard to change, I took the one off my M109 and now the M35 runs like a champ.

Just waiting to get another one.

Hope that helps.

98hd

Ferroequinologist said:
Hey 98hd,
I have the exact same issue with my deuce. Down to the letter. Your not going to like what it was though...

It's my hydraulic head on my IP pump, worn out pretty bad. That's the round tuna can sized disc on top of the IP pump with 6 injector lines coming out of it. not to hard to change, I took the one off my M109 and now the M35 runs like a champ.

Just waiting to get another one.

Hope that helps.
Any pics or a link on info on how to change it?

I'm thinking I may take the one off of my other truck to bring with, just incase.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, we lost our camera at Carowinds (theme park) not to long ago and haven't had the spare funds to get another one, so no pics of the change out. I don't have my TM disc with me either, as I'm up in Norfolk visiting.

It wasn't hard, the 6 injector lines, and then 4 bolts holding it down.

98hd

Well, Changed the filters, drained the tank, and refilled w/ 5 gallons bled it all out. Ran great, and drove it to the fuel station to fill up.

Went to start it and no go. Did the same trick I did last time. Put it in first floor it and push the starter w/ the clutch out. Got it started, but had to hold the throttle out(my hand throttle doesn't stop on the stops)

Limped it home, and it seems fine again.

I'm really wary of driving it back to where I store my trucks 240 miles like this, and I think more and more that Ferroequinologist is right about the hydraulic head.

I should add my air filter is brand new, I just checked it when I tapped the manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks