• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck History

FunVee

Just picked up my first M998. Eager to learn the trucks history. It’s registration # NG2NJP
Can anyone give me some direction as to the best way to research it?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge here. I’ve already learned a ton in the few hours i’ve spent reading old threads. Hope to contribute as I learn more.

IMG_1931.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just picked up my first M998. Eager to learn the trucks history. It’s registration # NG2NJP

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge here. I’ve already learned a ton in the few hours i’ve spent reading old threads. Hope to contribute as I learn more.

View attachment 899247
Welcome to the Outfit!

You need to snap some pictures of your truck to kinda "put a stake in the ground" so you can see your progress as you work along. AND with pictures the rest of us can enjoy your vehicle too!

FunVee

Welcome to the Outfit!

You need to snap some pictures of your truck to kinda "put a stake in the ground" so you can see your progress as you work along. AND with pictures the rest of us can enjoy your vehicle too!

Fine point! I will grab a few to share. 4 man conversion is first up. I’ll take any pointers towards a good used or fair priced new top and c-pillar kit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

View attachment 899247
Registration numbers like that provide no history on the vehicle. Bumper markings tell the story

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to remember there was some agency that could give some information on the registration number but then I am old so......

FunVee

Registration numbers like that provide no history on the vehicle. Bumper markings tell the story
Ok, the previous owner said the registration # would unlock the history. I don't think any bumper numbers are left. Can the serial number track it at all?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, the previous owner said the registration # would unlock the history. I don't think any bumper numbers are left. Can the serial number track it at all?
I believe there used to be someone on here years ago with access to the serial number database for truck history, but hasn't had it for many years (or isn't here anymore, or something like that)
For the rest of us, no, there really isn't any way to track the history of these trucks. The bumper numbers at best tell us the last unit that had the vehicle, but nothing about what it actually did during it's service life.

It's very unlikely that anyone has access to the information you are looking for, and it's not terribly uncommon for trucks to spend their life in more than one unit.
There are some trucks that even spent their entire military life just sitting out in the desert without ever being used. 20 years and a few dozen miles on plenty of the M1123s that went to auction.

FunVee

I believe there used to be someone on here years ago with access to the serial number database for truck history, but hasn't had it for many years (or isn't here anymore, or something like that)
For the rest of us, no, there really isn't any way to track the history of these trucks. The bumper numbers at best tell us the last unit that had the vehicle, but nothing about what it actually did during it's service life.

It's very unlikely that anyone has access to the information you are looking for, and it's not terribly uncommon for trucks to spend their life in more than one unit.
There are some trucks that even spent their entire military life just sitting out in the desert without ever being used. 20 years and a few dozen miles on plenty of the M1123s that went to auction.
Thanks for the background. Always fun to know the history but its the history we make while we own it that really matters to us.

FunVee

NICE! Looks a little "tight" with those oversize tires.
It has a 3/4” front leveling kit. The tires clear ok for city driving but off road they would rub. They are 41”. Not sure if i will stick with them or go back to stock skins.

Reactions: OBX

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I was one of two who used to look up the info. But when the Army went to a new system, we both lost access. FOIA is pretty much the only way now.

Guyfang

Staff member
FOIA. Freedom Of Information Act. What it amounts to is sending a letter to the Gov and asking them a question, or questions. Then, if they can, or will, they will send you an answer. If they cant, or wont, then they will send you nothing. I did one on the A-12/SR-71 aircraft. I sent a letter and request to the CIA, for info and pictures. I waited a long time. Nothing. Then one day I got a big, thick envelope. It had no return address. I picked it up, and jokingly said, "Its from the CIA, secret information". And, that's just what it was. It was a declassified copy of a briefing that covered the A-12, Operation Oxcart. Incredibly interesting. But no pictures. My son and I were collecting 8X10 pictures of every singe A-12 and SR-71. A short hand written note from someone at the "Company" on CIA memo paper and some book marks with the Skunk Works logo on them. Its really hit or miss. If you don't write to the right office, or get someone willing to "waste" a little time, you come up empty.

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 899247
Yep, that's the national guard unit. Mine has similar markings as well. Got mine from the Chambersburg, PA installation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks